Finding Total B-Field and Direction in a Wire-Magnet System

In summary, the problem involves finding the total magnetic field at a point in the xz-plane due to a wire carrying current I = 8.00 A in the -y-direction and a uniform magnetic field in the +x-direction. Using the magnetic field equation B = (mu_0 *I)/2*pi*r, the magnitude of the total field is found to be 1.6 x 10^-6 T. To find the direction, the two B vectors must be added as vectors and the angle can be found using trigonometry.
whitetiger

Homework Statement

A long, straight wire lies along the y-axis and carries a current I = 8.00 A in the -y-direction . In addition to the magnetic field due to the current in the wire, a uniform magnetic field with magnitude is in the +x-direction.

What is the magnitude of the total field at the point x = 0, z = 1.00 m in the xz-plane?

What is its direction? from x to z axis.

Homework Equations

Using magnetic field equation B = (mu_0 *I)/2*pi*r

The Attempt at a Solution

B = (mu_o*I)/2*pi*r = (4pi x 10^-7)(8.00A)/2pi*(1.00m) = 1.6 x 10^-6 T

using the same equation B = (mu_o*I)sin(theta)/2*pi*r, but I am not sure how to continue this problem.

Can someone help me how to calculate for the direction for this B-field that goes from x to z axis?

Thanks

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 968
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see the attachment yet, but I'll try to offer as much advice as I can without it.

You have found the magnitude of the B field from the wire correctly. You also didn't give the magnitude of the constant field in the x direction. I assume you forgot to put it in, since its seems to be something that needs to be given. Here are some hints to help you get to the answer.

Hints:

What direction does the B field from the wire point in?

If you know this then you know the two B vectors, both magnitude and direction. Now the total B field will be their sum, correct? How do you add these two vectors?

Likes RJLiberator
G01 said:
I can't see the attachment yet, but I'll try to offer as much advice as I can without it.

You have found the magnitude of the B field from the wire correctly. You also didn't give the magnitude of the constant field in the x direction. I assume you forgot to put it in, since its seems to be something that needs to be given. Here are some hints to help you get to the answer.

Hints:

What direction does the B field from the wire point in?

If you know this then you know the two B vectors, both magnitude and direction. Now the total B field will be their sum, correct? How do you add these two vectors?

Thank for the advice.

From the RHR, the magnetic field is pointing in the x-axis direction, similar to B_o.

The value for B_o is given as 1.50 x 10^-6 T, so the total B field will then be 1.50 x 10^-6 + 1.6 x 10^-6 T = 1.0 x 10^-7 T.

I am still confuse on how to find the angle, can you further explain?

Thanks

whitetiger said:
The value for B_o is given as 1.50 x 10^-6 T, so the total B field will then be 1.50 x 10^-6 + 1.6 x 10^-6 T = 1.0 x 10^-7 T.

This is not the correct sum of the vectors. Remember Vectors don't add like real numbers. Here you have a horizontal component, and a vertical component. The sum vector will be the hypotenuse of the triangle they form. Does this help you remember how to find the sum? Then, use trig to find the angle. Does this help?

FAQ: Finding Total B-Field and Direction in a Wire-Magnet System

1. What is the formula for calculating the angle in a B-field?

The formula for calculating the angle in a B-field is θ = tan⁻¹ (v⃗ × B⃗ / |v⃗ × B⃗|), where θ is the angle, v⃗ is the velocity vector of the charged particle, and B⃗ is the magnetic field vector.

2. How do I determine the direction of the angle in a B-field?

The direction of the angle in a B-field is determined by the right-hand rule. If the velocity vector of the charged particle is perpendicular to the magnetic field vector, the angle will be either 0° or 180°. If the velocity vector is parallel to the magnetic field vector, the angle will be either 90° or 270°.

3. Can I calculate the angle in a B-field without knowing the velocity of the charged particle?

No, the velocity of the charged particle is a crucial component in calculating the angle in a B-field. Without knowing the velocity, the formula cannot be accurately applied.

4. How does the mass of the charged particle affect the angle in a B-field?

The mass of the charged particle does not directly affect the angle in a B-field. However, it does affect the velocity of the particle, which in turn affects the angle. A particle with a greater mass will have a lower velocity and therefore a larger angle in a B-field compared to a particle with a lower mass.

5. What units are used to measure the angle in a B-field?

The angle in a B-field is typically measured in degrees (°) or radians (rad). Both units are acceptable, but it is important to use the same unit consistently throughout calculations.

Back