1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate change in height of fluid in a cylinder based on flow out

1. Dec 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A cylinder with radius five has water in it. The water flows out of the cylinder with a rate of 5π units cubed per minute. At what rate does the height of the fluid in the cylinder change?

2. Relevant equations

volume of a cylinder = [itex]πr^{2}h[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the height of the cylinder is constant. I think using [itex]\int f(t) \mathrm{d} t = \frac{5}{2}πt^{2} + C[/itex] would help me, where [itex]f(t) = 5πt[/itex], or the amount of water released in t minutes.

Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2011 #2
    So you already have that the volume of the water is
    [tex] V = \pi r^2h [/tex]
    And you're given that the rate of loss of water is [itex]\displaystyle 5 units^3min^{-1}[/itex] so you have
    [tex] \frac{dV}{dt} = 5 [/tex]
    Now what is [itex]\displaystyle \frac{dV}{dt} [/itex] ?

4. Dec 15, 2011 #3
    So that tells me that the change in volume with respect to time is 5π, no? For example, after t minutes, [itex]5πt[/itex] water would have been released.

5. Dec 15, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"I know the height of the cylinder is constant." But the height of the column of water is not. In fact, it is dh/dt that you are asked to find. The radius is constant. Yes, [itex]V=\pi r^2h[/itex]. So what is dV/dt as a function of dh/dt?

6. Dec 15, 2011 #5
    Forgive me if I'm completely wrong, been studying for finals all day and night and it's late here.

From what I've calculated, [itex]\frac{dV}{dt} = 25π\frac{dh}{dt}[/itex].

Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook