Calculate change in height of fluid in a cylinder based on flow out

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 7K views
mrwall-e
Messages
54
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A cylinder with radius five has water in it. The water flows out of the cylinder with a rate of 5π units cubed per minute. At what rate does the height of the fluid in the cylinder change?

Homework Equations



volume of a cylinder = [itex]πr^{2}h[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I know the height of the cylinder is constant. I think using [itex]\int f(t) \mathrm{d} t = \frac{5}{2}πt^{2} + C[/itex] would help me, where [itex]f(t) = 5πt[/itex], or the amount of water released in t minutes.

Thanks for any help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
So you already have that the volume of the water is
[tex]V = \pi r^2h[/tex]
And you're given that the rate of loss of water is [itex]\displaystyle 5 units^3min^{-1}[/itex] so you have
[tex]\frac{dV}{dt} = 5[/tex]
Now what is [itex]\displaystyle \frac{dV}{dt}[/itex] ?
 
So that tells me that the change in volume with respect to time is 5π, no? For example, after t minutes, [itex]5πt[/itex] water would have been released.
 
"I know the height of the cylinder is constant." But the height of the column of water is not. In fact, it is dh/dt that you are asked to find. The radius is constant. Yes, [itex]V=\pi r^2h[/itex]. So what is dV/dt as a function of dh/dt?
 
Forgive me if I'm completely wrong, been studying for finals all day and night and it's late here.

From what I've calculated, [itex]\frac{dV}{dt} = 25π\frac{dh}{dt}[/itex].

Thanks for the help.