Calculate change in temperature

In summary, if you have a set of parameters (force, velocity, specific heat, and mass) that describe a system, you can use these parameters to calculate the change in temperature of that system.
kaushik939
Hallo Friends,

I have a parameters force,velocity, specific heat, & mass. Is there any relation to calcullate change in temperature using above parameters??

Science news on Phys.org
kaushik939 said:
Hallo Friends,

I have a parameters force,velocity, specific heat, & mass. Is there any relation to calcullate change in temperature using above parameters??

Hi and welcome

Your question is a bit too 'open' for a specific answer but, amongst those quantities, you have the possibility of knowing the mechanical Work done and working out the resulting Heating Effect. It sounds very much like Joule's original work on 'The Mechanical Equivalent of Heat'. We don't actually use that term nowadays but the figure 4.2J/cal still applies.

As stated above, you're most likely looking for the Work / Heat relationship.

kaushik939 said:
Hallo Friends,

Hi, kaushik939

This is a really (really) bad way of "doing" physics. I suppose you picked up all the parameters from a given problem, thinking that the description o what is it all about is irrelevant. But the description of the system and phenomena is the most important think or understanding and solving the problem. The relationship between the parameters will esentially depend on what is going on.
You did not even specify velocity of what, heat capacity of what else, etc.
Are these parameters of the same object?
Think about it, it may be the velocity of the moon, the specific heat capacity of water, mass of your laptop, etc. Can you calculate the change in the temperature of a medium size coffee cup in 2 minutes from this data? This is maybe a quite extreme example, but I hope you understand that the details matter.

So to cut it short, can you write down the actual problem?

Yes, there is a way to calculate the change in temperature using the parameters you mentioned. The formula for calculating change in temperature is as follows:

Change in temperature = (Force * Velocity) / (Specific heat * Mass)

This formula is derived from the equation Q = mcΔT, where Q represents heat, m represents mass, c represents specific heat, and ΔT represents change in temperature. By rearranging the equation, we get the formula for calculating change in temperature.

It is important to note that this formula assumes that there are no other factors affecting the change in temperature, such as heat transfer or phase changes. If these factors are present, the formula may need to be modified to account for them.

Additionally, it is important to use consistent units when plugging in the values for force, velocity, specific heat, and mass. For example, if force is given in Newtons and mass is given in kilograms, then velocity should be given in meters per second and specific heat should be given in joules per kilogram Kelvin.

I hope this helps answer your question. If you need further clarification or have any other questions, please let me know.

Related to Calculate change in temperature

What is the formula for calculating change in temperature?

The formula for calculating change in temperature is: ΔT = Tf - Ti, where ΔT is the change in temperature, Tf is the final temperature, and Ti is the initial temperature.

What units are used to measure change in temperature?

The most commonly used units for measuring temperature are Celsius (°C) and Fahrenheit (°F). In scientific settings, Kelvin (K) is also used.

How do you calculate change in temperature over a period of time?

To calculate change in temperature over a period of time, you need to know the initial temperature, final temperature, and the time elapsed. The formula is: ΔT = (Tf - Ti) / t, where t is the time elapsed.

What is the difference between change in temperature and average temperature?

Change in temperature refers to the difference between the initial and final temperature, while average temperature is the sum of all temperatures measured over a period of time, divided by the number of measurements. Change in temperature can be positive or negative, while average temperature is always positive.

How does altitude affect change in temperature?

As altitude increases, the air pressure decreases, which leads to a decrease in temperature. This is because air molecules are more spread out at higher altitudes, resulting in less collisions and less heat transfer. Therefore, change in temperature is affected by altitude, and the higher the altitude, the greater the change in temperature will be.