Calculate Current Homework: Show Proportionality to df/dE

• Thread starter aaaa202
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses an exercise involving an expression for current with fermi functions and chemical potentials. The goal is to show that the current is proportional to the derivative of the fermi function. The suggested approach is to approximate the integral and use a Taylor expansion, and rewrite it in terms of the derivative of the fermi function. Eventually, it is shown that the current is indeed proportional to df/dE.
aaaa202

Homework Statement

In an exercise I am given the attached expression for the current. The functions f1 and f2 are fermi functions centered around the chemical potentials μ1 and μ2.
I am then asked to study this expression in the limit μ1-μ2 -> 0 and γ1->0,γ2->0.
Specifically I am supposed to show that the current is proportional to df/dE. I am unsure of how to do it though. I approximated the integral to be the integral of a delta function and then taylorexpanded f around the small parameter μ1-μ2 as attached. Do you think this is the way to do it, or what is meant by df/dE?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

attached

Attachments

• current.png
    current.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 397
  • solution.png
    solution.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 395
Physics news on Phys.org
expression: I = (e/h) * integral from -inf to inf of [f1(E) - f2(E)] * [γ1*f1(E) + γ2*f2(E)] * dE

Hello,

Yes, your approach of approximating the integral to a delta function and using a Taylor expansion is a good start. To show that the current is proportional to df/dE, you need to rewrite the integral in terms of the derivative of the fermi function, rather than the fermi function itself.

You can use the chain rule to rewrite the integral as:

I = (e/h) * integral from -inf to inf of [f1(E) - f2(E)] * [γ1*f1(E) + γ2*f2(E)] * (df1/dE - df2/dE) * dE

Now, when μ1-μ2 -> 0 and γ1->0,γ2->0, the fermi functions f1 and f2 will also approach the same value. This means that the difference (f1-f2) will approach 0, and the product (γ1*f1 + γ2*f2) will also approach 0. This allows you to simplify the integral to:

I = (e/h) * integral from -inf to inf of (df1/dE - df2/dE) * dE

Now, since the only term left in the integral is the derivative of the fermi function, you can see that the current is indeed proportional to df/dE.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need clarification.

Related to Calculate Current Homework: Show Proportionality to df/dE

1. How do you calculate current?

Current can be calculated by dividing the change in electric charge by the change in time. It is represented by the equation I = Q/t, where I is current in amperes (A), Q is charge in coulombs (C), and t is time in seconds (s).

2. What is proportionality in relation to df/dE?

Proportionality refers to the relationship between two variables where one variable is directly or inversely proportional to the other. In the context of df/dE, it means that the change in df (frequency) is directly proportional to the change in dE (energy).

3. How does df/dE relate to current?

df/dE is a mathematical expression used in quantum mechanics to describe the change in frequency (df) with respect to the change in energy (dE). In terms of current, it can be used to calculate the current flowing through a conductor by taking into account the energy levels of electrons.

4. What is the significance of calculating proportionality to df/dE?

Calculating proportionality to df/dE allows scientists to understand the relationship between frequency and energy in a system, particularly in quantum mechanics. It can also be used to predict the behavior of particles and the flow of current in a conductor.

5. How can I show proportionality to df/dE in my homework or experiment?

To show proportionality to df/dE, you can plot a graph of frequency versus energy and observe if the data points follow a linear relationship. If the data points form a straight line, it indicates that df/dE is proportional and can be used to calculate current. Additionally, you can use the proportionality constant, or the slope of the line, to calculate the current in your system.