Calculate Entropy Change for Process 1->3 in Au Block

In summary, the gold block initially at 273 K (state 1) is placed in a microwave oven where eddy currents dissipate energy into the block. The microwaves cause work transfer into the block, which is then allowed to reach thermal equilibrium at 375 K (state 3). The entropy transfer from the microwaves to the gold block is zero, and the entropy generated in the gold block in the process is calculated using the equation del S= mc ln(t2/t1), where c is the specific heat capacity of the solid. The values for T1 and T2 are 273 K and 375 K respectively.
Urmi Roy

Homework Statement

A gold block initially at 273 K (state 1) is placed in a microwave oven where the electric and magnetic fields create eddy currents that dissipate energy into the gold block.The microwaves acting on the electrons in the gold is an example of a work transfer into the block.

The microwaves are shut off and the isolated block is allowed to come to internal thermal equilibrium. The temperature of the block in this final state is 375 K (state 3). What is the change in the energy and entropy of the Au block in process 1->3?

h) What is the entropy transferred from the magnetron to the gold by the microwaves?
i) What is the entropy generated in the gold block in process 1->3?

Homework Equations

del S= mc ln(t2/t1)

(c= specific heat capacity of the solid)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the action of the eddy currents is considered to be work,and h=the entropy transfer by work on a system is zero, answer to part (h) is zero.

The entropy is a state function and since its a solid, and the volume and pressure changes can be neglected, we could calculate the answer to part (i) from the equation del S= mc ln(t2/t1)...does this sound right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably 100% good.

What are your values for T1 and T2 in your last formula? I know you don't mean states 1 and 2. And I would add that c = cp as opposed to cv. Probably makes little if any difference, though.

Thanks rude man, my T2= 375K and T1=273 K... :-)

Related to Calculate Entropy Change for Process 1->3 in Au Block

1. What is entropy change for process 1 to 3 in Au block?

The entropy change for process 1 to 3 in Au block refers to the change in the amount of disorder or randomness of the atoms in the gold block as the block undergoes the specified processes.

2. How do you calculate entropy change for process 1 to 3 in Au block?

To calculate the entropy change for process 1 to 3 in Au block, you can use the formula ΔS = Q/T, where ΔS is the change in entropy, Q is the heat absorbed or released by the system, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

3. What are the units for entropy change?

The units for entropy change are joules per kelvin (J/K).

4. How does entropy change relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the overall entropy of an isolated system will always increase over time. Therefore, the entropy change for process 1 to 3 in Au block must be positive, as the processes are causing an increase in disorder within the system.

5. Can the entropy change for process 1 to 3 in Au block be negative?

No, the entropy change for process 1 to 3 in Au block cannot be negative. The second law of thermodynamics dictates that the entropy of an isolated system must always increase, meaning the entropy change must be positive. A negative entropy change would violate this law.