Estimating Radiation Exposure from Multiple Sources

• Thread starter Von Neumann
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radiation
In summary, the individual dose rates at x=0 and the absorption coefficients for three sources (Ba-133, Cs-137, and Co-60) have been provided. Using the equation \frac{dD}{dt}=\frac{dD_{0}}{dt}e^{-cx}, the total extra exposure can be estimated by summing the individual exposures from each source. Based on the given information, the total extra exposure is approximately 0.0835 mR.
Von Neumann
Question:

I'm looking to estimate my total extra exposure (dose above background) by taking into account account roughly how long I was near each source, the strength of the source, and its approximate distance from me. I believe it's useful to use the following equation,

[itex]\frac{dD}{dt}=\frac{dD_{0}}{dt}e^{-cx}[/itex]

where [itex]\frac{dD_{0}}{dt}[/itex] is the dose rate at x=0 and c is the absorption coefficient.

The dose rates measured at x=0 for the 3 sources, as well as the calculated absorption coefficients are

Ba-133: 277 μR/h , c=0.303/in.
Cs-137: 107 μR/h , c=0.375/in.
Co-60: 117 μR/h , c=0.360/in.

*note that the background radiation has been subtracted from the dose rates shown.

So if I take the time t spend near each source as 10 minutes, and the distance from each source as x=0 in. (as I was holding the sources as we varied the distance in the first part of the experiment) I can approximate the exposure as

[itex]\frac{dD_{0}}{dt}\cdot[/itex][itex]t[/itex]

and then sum these for from each source. So therefore I get,

Ba-133: 277 μR/h * (10 min) * (1 h/ 60 min) = 0.0462 mR
Co-60: 107 μR/h * (10 min) * (1 h/ 60 min) = 0.0195 mR
Cs-137: 117 μR/h * (10 min) * (1 h/ 60 min) = .0178 mR

Thus as my total extra exposure I get,

0.0462 mR + 0.0195 mR + 0.0178 mR = 0.0835 mR

Is this reasoning correct? Thank you in advance for any input.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks reasonable.

What is radiation exposure?

Radiation exposure refers to the amount of radiation that a person is exposed to, either from natural sources (such as the sun) or from man-made sources (such as X-rays or nuclear power plants).

How is radiation exposure calculated?

Radiation exposure is calculated by multiplying the intensity of the radiation by the amount of time a person is exposed to it. This is typically measured in units of millisieverts (mSv).

What factors affect radiation exposure?

The factors that affect radiation exposure include the type of radiation, the amount of radiation, the distance from the radiation source, and the duration of exposure. Other factors such as shielding and the body's ability to repair damage also play a role.

What are the potential health effects of radiation exposure?

Radiation exposure can have both immediate and long-term health effects. These can range from skin burns and tissue damage to an increased risk of cancer and other diseases, depending on the level and duration of exposure.

How can radiation exposure be minimized?

There are several ways to minimize radiation exposure, including limiting exposure time, increasing distance from the radiation source, and using protective shielding. It is also important to follow safety protocols and regulations when working with or around radiation.