Calculate Resistivity of a Rod

In summary, The formula for calculating resistivity of a rod is: resistivity = (resistance * cross-sectional area) / length. The unit of measurement for resistivity is ohm-meter (Ωm). To measure the resistance of the rod, you will need a multimeter. Set the multimeter to the resistance (Ω) setting and connect the probes to each end of the rod. The multimeter will display the resistance in ohms (Ω). The resistivity of a rod can be affected by the material it is made of, the temperature, and the dimensions of the rod (cross-sectional area and length). The resistivity of a rod can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear, corrosion,
harts

Homework Statement

A uniform metallic rod, with a cross-sectional area of 1.83 cm2
and a length of 7.08 m, contains 6.24E28 conduction electrons per cubic meter of material, which have a mean collision time of 20.2 femtoseconds.

(a) Determine the resistivity of the rod.

When the rod experiences a potential diff erence of 2.52 mV from end to end, determine
(b) the drift velocity of the electrons and
(c) the current density in the rod.

Homework Equations

R = ρl/A
J = ΔV/(ρl)
vd = I/(neA) (n being the number of mobile charge carriers per unit volume, e is electron charge)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know exactly how to do b and c, those are a piece of cake. Unfortunately, to actually answer those parts I need the answer from part a which I have no idea how to do.

I started by saying ρ=AR/l, but then I realized I don't have R directly given to me. All of the methods I thought of to get R involved needing information I wouldn't get till later steps (using Ohm's law and finding R from Iavg = nqvdA and known value of V, don't have vd; using ρ=E/J, J being current density which I also don't have yet.

I can't find anything in my book. I would guess that materials with higher resistivities have more frequent collisions (so higher mean collision times); more collisions, more resisting going on. As for conduction electron intuition, I'm not really sure. Any help?? I know the answer ranges from 1.5E-08 to 3.00E-08, so I even got desperate and tried multiplying values together to see if I could get anything within that order of magnitude.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! The resistivity of a material is a measure of its resistance to electrical current flow. In order to calculate the resistivity of the rod, we can use the resistivity formula that you have mentioned: R = ρl/A. However, in order to use this formula, we need to know the resistance of the rod, which is given by Ohm's law (R = V/I). Since we have the potential difference (V) and the length (l) and cross-sectional area (A) of the rod, we can rearrange Ohm's law to find the resistance (R). Once we have the resistance, we can substitute it into the resistivity formula to find the resistivity (ρ).

Remember, resistivity is a property of the material, so it will not change with different potential differences or current densities. It is a constant value for a given material.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your calculations!

What is the formula for calculating resistivity of a rod?

The formula for calculating resistivity of a rod is: resistivity = (resistance * cross-sectional area) / length

What is the unit of measurement for resistivity?

The unit of measurement for resistivity is ohm-meter (Ωm).

How do I measure the resistance of the rod?

To measure the resistance of the rod, you will need a multimeter. Set the multimeter to the resistance (Ω) setting and connect the probes to each end of the rod. The multimeter will display the resistance in ohms (Ω).

What factors can affect the resistivity of a rod?

The resistivity of a rod can be affected by the material it is made of, the temperature, and the dimensions of the rod (cross-sectional area and length).

Can the resistivity of a rod change over time?

Yes, the resistivity of a rod can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear, corrosion, and changes in temperature.