Calculate the charge of a density distributed along z axis?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the total charge of a material with a given charge density between two planes. The question specifies the distribution of the charge along the z-axis and does not provide any information on the radius or shape of the material. Two possible approaches are discussed, one using a cylindrical charge distribution and the other using the Dirac Delta function. However, it is noted that there may be missing information or an error in the problem statement.
flux!

Homework Statement

How do I find the total charge from a material with a charge density given by
[tex]\rho =10^{-9} \text{cos}\left ( \frac{z}{z_0}\right ) C/m^3[/tex]
that exist between [itex]\frac{-\pi}{3}z_0<z<\frac{\pi}{3}z_0[/itex].

Homework Equations

None I can think of.

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt #1:

Since the charge density is a volume charge density we may assume that we are dealing with a cylindrical charge distribution that remains the same along [itex]r[/itex]. However, the radius of the assumed shaped was not given, so let us assume that its radius is [itex]r_0[/itex]. We may solve this by:

[tex]q=\int_V \rho d\tau[/tex] [tex]q=\int_0^{r_0} \int_0^{2\pi} \int_{\frac{-\pi}{3}z_0}^{\frac{\pi}{3}z_0} 10^{-9} \text{cos}\left ( \frac{z}{z_0}\right ) C/m^3 rdrd\phi dz[/tex]

Everything will then be straight forward, but the issue is that

1. [itex]r_0[/itex] is not given, and
2. the problem did not say it is a cylindrical charge density.

This is just, however, one way I could deal with a volume charge density that does not have a given volume, unusual huh.

Attempt #2:

Since the problem indicated that the volume charge density is distributed on a line, then it must be a line charge only. Thus it must have an infinitesimal radius that could be resolve by Dirac Delta function, so:

[tex]\rho =10^{-9} \text{cos}\left ( \frac{z}{z_0}\right ) C/m^3[/tex]

must be equivalent to:

[tex]\rho =\delta(r,\phi - r',\phi')10^{-9} \text{cos}\left ( \frac{z}{z_0}\right ) C/m[/tex]

then, things could now be easily solved in the integral:

[tex]q=\int_V \left (\delta(r,\phi - r',\phi')10^{-9} \text{cos}\left ( \frac{z}{z_0}\right ) C/m\right )d\tau[/tex]

4. My Question

Now, my question is, which two approaches is the right solution, Or if neither any of the two is correct, how should we solve the total charge of a density given above?

Cross-Link: Posted the Question In physics.exchange but, does not seem to get answered, Hope you guys help me out. http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/240215/how-to-compute-the-charge-of-a-density-distributed-along-z-axis

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are specifically given units of C/m3 ... so this is explicitly a volume charge density.

The only dpendence given is z, so a cylindrical symmetry is reasonable.
The question appears to call for the total charge between two planes so ##r\in [0,\infty)## ... but that gives you an infinite charge.
It follows that there is some information missing from the problem statement, or the statement is in error.

You need to use the context that the question is set into further determine the limits for the volume.

Hi, that what all the problem given. No [itex]r[/itex] for a cylinder or so. The problem just tells that the charge is distributed on z.

That's why I suggest going to the context - sometimes the needed information is not explicitly given.
Maybe the "material" is finite in a way mentioned elsewhere?

There are too many other possibilities to safely guess ... which is basically what you are doing above.
Have you asked the other students to see how they are handling it?

If you cannot ask anyone, and you must turn in something, then you will have to just leave ##r_0## as a variable.

I see no need to assume it is a cylinder. Just assume the cross-sectional area in the XY plane is constant, A.
However, this still leaves such a trivial problem that I suspect the missing information is crucial.

Thanks for the responses! I will just assume that there might be a missing information. In case there is none, is my solution involving dirac-delta correct?

1. How do you calculate the charge of a density distributed along the z axis?

The charge of a density distributed along the z axis can be calculated by multiplying the density (ρ) by the volume (V) over which it is distributed. This can be represented mathematically as Q = ρV.

2. What is meant by a density distributed along the z axis?

A density distributed along the z axis refers to a distribution of mass or charge that is spread out along the z axis, or the vertical axis. This can be visualized as a stack of thin slices with varying densities along the z axis.

3. How is density represented in this calculation?

Density is typically represented by the Greek letter ρ (rho). It is a measure of mass per unit volume and is commonly used in physics and engineering calculations.

4. Can this calculation be applied to non-uniform densities?

Yes, this calculation can be applied to non-uniform densities. In this case, the density (ρ) would vary along the z axis and the volume (V) would need to be divided into smaller sections to accurately calculate the charge.

5. What units should be used for density and volume in this calculation?

The units used for density and volume will depend on the specific situation and the units of measurement being used. However, common units for density include kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3) and grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3), while volume is typically measured in cubic meters (m3) or cubic centimeters (cm3).