Calculate The Distance Where Atoms Start to Repel Each other

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the minimum distance between two atoms before their electrons start to repel each other and prevent them from getting closer together. The distance is dependent on the size and properties of the atoms, and can be described by the Lennard-Jones potential. There is a difference between coulomb repulsion and electron degeneracy pressure, with the former increasing as atoms get closer and the latter keeping two electrons from occupying the same state.
nst.john
Is there a way to calculate how close two atoms can get before their electrons start to repel each other and prevent atoms from getting closer together. I'm guessing this is dependent on the size of the atom and it's number of protons and electrons. I am asking because I am working on a sonoluminescence project and papers say that a sonoluminescent bubble reaches minimum size when the atoms in the bubble cannot be compressed anymore due to electron repulsion. So what I want to know is exactly how far is each atom from each other where the electron repulsion will stop the bubble from compressing further. Thank you!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
There is no such thing as the "minimum distance". How close atoms will get to each other is a matter of a pressure applied. The higher the force pushing atoms to each other, the closer they get. Lennard-Jones potential (mentioned in most general chemistry books) describes this dependence. However, it requires two parameters - I guess they can be calculated using QM methods.

Are you talking about coulomb repulsion or Electron degeneracy?

What's the difference between the two?

And I'll look into the Lennard-Jones potential.

nst.john said:
What's the difference between the two?
Coulomb potential is felt at all distances. Electron degeneracy pressure is what keeps two electrons occupying the same state

I'm guessing coulumb potential because it sounds like it would increase as two atoms got closer to each other, until it gets too great that they cannot get closer with the force applied due to electron repulsion

1. What is the distance where atoms start to repel each other?

The distance where atoms start to repel each other is known as the van der Waals radius. This distance varies depending on the types of atoms involved and their electronic configuration.

2. How is the van der Waals radius calculated?

The van der Waals radius is calculated using the atomic radii of the two atoms in question. It is equal to the sum of their atomic radii minus the distance between their nuclei when they are bonded together.

3. Why do atoms start to repel each other at a certain distance?

This is due to the repulsive force between the electron clouds of the two atoms. As the distance between the atoms decreases, the electron clouds begin to overlap, creating a repulsive force that prevents the atoms from getting any closer.

4. Can the distance where atoms start to repel each other change?

Yes, the distance where atoms start to repel each other can change depending on factors such as temperature, pressure, and the types of atoms involved. It can also change when the atoms are in different chemical environments, such as in a molecule or in a solid crystal structure.

5. How does the distance where atoms start to repel each other affect chemical reactions?

The distance where atoms start to repel each other plays a crucial role in determining the strength and types of chemical bonds that can form between atoms. It also affects the stability of molecules and the overall shape of molecules, which can impact their reactivity in chemical reactions.