Calculate the double integral : int int xye^((x^2)(y))

In summary, you forgot to take the y out of the derivative of the e^((x^2)(y)) and so you got your answer wrong.
Rancy

Homework Statement

Calculate the double integral

int int xye^((x^2)(y)) , 0<= x <= 1 , 0<= y <= 2

Homework Equations

Integral by parts

uv - int vdu

The Attempt at a Solution

IMG_20130207_073836.jpg

The answer in the back of the book is (1/2)((e^2) -3) , but I get (1/2)((e^2) -1) .

I think I made a positive/negative sign error, but I can't find it. I've had similar encounters where I would get close to the answer for questions involving integration by parts. I might of made a consistent error in one of my lines for each other question involving integration by parts, but I don't know where.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Your error is in the first step

You have a ##dx## on the first line. That means you integrate with respect to x and hold y constant.

##\int\limits_{0}^1 xye^{x^2y} \ dx = y\int\limits_{0}^1 xe^{x^2y}\ dx##

Does this make it clearer?

Karnage1993 said:
You have a ##dx## on the first line. That means you integrate with respect to x and hold y constant.

##\int\limits_{0}^1 xye^{x^2y} \ dx = y\int\limits_{0}^1 xe^{x^2y}\ dx##

Does this make it clearer?
Not really, I already knew that I should think of y as a constant when integrating with respect to x, but I rarely ever factor it out and just imagine that y is a number, an integrate the function.

But I think I know where I made my mistake:
The derivative of e^((x^2)(y)) = (2xy)(e^((x^2)(y))) , and I forgot to take out the y in my answer.

Thanks!

That is, by the way, the hard way to do this problem. Change the order of integration:
[tex]\int_{y=0}^2\int_{x=0}^1 xye^{x^2y}dx dy[/tex]
Let [itex]u=x^2y[/itex] so that [itex]du= 2xydy[/itex] and so [itex](1/2)du= xydy[/itex]. That simplifies the problem a lot!

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation that involves calculating the area under a three-dimensional surface. It is represented by the symbol ∫∫ and is used to find the volume of irregularly shaped objects or to solve problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. How do you solve a double integral?

To solve a double integral, first evaluate the inner integral and then use the result to evaluate the outer integral. This process is known as the "method of iterated integrals." It involves using integration techniques such as substitution and integration by parts to simplify the integrand before solving the integral.

3. What is the purpose of calculating a double integral?

The purpose of calculating a double integral is to find the volume under a three-dimensional surface or to solve problems involving the area or mass of irregularly shaped objects. It is also used in various scientific and mathematical applications, such as calculating probabilities and solving differential equations.

4. What is the formula for calculating a double integral?

The formula for calculating a double integral is ∫∫f(x,y)dA, where f(x,y) is the integrand and dA represents the area element. This formula can also be written in terms of x and y limits, such as ∫∫f(x,y)dxdy, where the limits of integration are specified for both x and y.

5. What are some common applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have many applications in science, engineering, and mathematics. They are commonly used to calculate the volume of irregularly shaped objects, find the center of mass of a three-dimensional object, and solve problems in fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. They are also used in probability and statistics to calculate probabilities of events and to model random variables.