1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the double integral : int int xye^((x^2)(y))

1. Feb 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the double integral

int int xye^((x^2)(y)) , 0<= x <= 1 , 0<= y <= 2

2. Relevant equations

Integral by parts

uv - int vdu

3. The attempt at a solution

IMG_20130207_073836.jpg

The answer in the back of the book is (1/2)((e^2) -3) , but I get (1/2)((e^2) -1) .

I think I made a positive/negative sign error, but I can't find it. I've had similar encounters where I would get close to the answer for questions involving integration by parts. I might of made a consistent error in one of my lines for each other question involving integration by parts, but I don't know where.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2013 #2
    Your error is in the first step

4. Feb 7, 2013 #3
    You have a ##dx## on the first line. That means you integrate with respect to x and hold y constant.

##\int\limits_{0}^1 xye^{x^2y} \ dx = y\int\limits_{0}^1 xe^{x^2y}\ dx##

Does this make it clearer?

5. Feb 7, 2013 #4

Not really, I already knew that I should think of y as a constant when integrating with respect to x, but I rarely ever factor it out and just imagine that y is a number, an integrate the function.

But I think I know where I made my mistake:
    The derivative of e^((x^2)(y)) = (2xy)(e^((x^2)(y))) , and I forgot to take out the y in my answer.

Thanks!

6. Feb 7, 2013 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That is, by the way, the hard way to do this problem. Change the order of integration:
    [tex]\int_{y=0}^2\int_{x=0}^1 xye^{x^2y}dx dy[/tex]
    Let [itex]u=x^2y[/itex] so that [itex]du= 2xydy[/itex] and so [itex](1/2)du= xydy[/itex]. That simplifies the problem a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook