Calculate the frequency, in hertz (level n = 10 to level n = 5)

In summary, the question is asking to calculate the frequency, in hertz, of a photon emitted when an electron falls from level n = 10 to level n = 5 in a hydrogen atom. The calculation is done using the Rydberg formula and the result is 9.89e14 Hz. However, if the problem involves a hydrogen-like atom with a different atomic number, the factor of Z^2 should be added to the Rydberg equation. The person asking for help may have mistakenly posted in the wrong forum.
pinklemon
Calculate the frequency, in hertz, of the photon that is emitted when a electron falls from level n = 10 to level n = 5 in the H atom.

Enter a numeric answer only, no units.

I tried asking in other places but ppl are so ambiguous about it.
:( please help me.

I used rydberg formula:
1/λ = RH ∙ (1/n₁² - 1/n₂²)
(RH rydberg constant for hydrogen, n₁ lower level, n₂ higher level)

Hence:
λ = 1/ [ 1.09678×10⁷m⁻¹ ∙ (1/5² - 1/10²) ] = 3.0392×10⁻⁶m

and then I converted to Hz = 9.89e14 but i still GOT IT wrong :( Please help me someone!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The above calculation is done for a hydrogen atom. Check the problem to see if a different Z is given. (the factor of [tex]Z^2 [/tex]is added to the rydberg equation for approximating photon frequencies of hydrogen-like atoms with a different atomic number.

elduderino said:
The above calculation is done for a hydrogen atom. Check the problem to see if a different Z is given. (the factor of [tex]Z^2 [/tex]is added to the rydberg equation for approximating photon frequencies of hydrogen-like atoms with a different atomic number.

I don't understand. So there's another Z? But I thought it is only 5 and 10?

oh dear. i think i posted in the wrong section.
(please move this thread) thanks!

Last edited:

Related to Calculate the frequency, in hertz (level n = 10 to level n = 5)

1. How do you calculate the frequency in hertz for a transition from level n = 10 to level n = 5?

The frequency in hertz can be calculated using the formula f = ΔE/h, where ΔE is the energy difference between the two levels and h is Planck's constant (6.626 x 10^-34 joule seconds).

2. What is the energy difference between level n = 10 and level n = 5?

The energy difference can be calculated using the formula ΔE = -13.6 x (Z^2 / n^2) x (1/nf - 1/ni), where Z is the atomic number, n is the principal quantum number, and nf and ni are the final and initial levels respectively.

3. How do you determine the atomic number (Z) for a transition between two levels?

The atomic number can be determined by identifying the element being studied and using its position on the periodic table. It is equal to the number of protons in the nucleus of the atom.

4. Can you provide an example calculation for the frequency in hertz for a transition from level n = 10 to level n = 5?

Using the formula f = ΔE/h, and assuming an atomic number of 6 for carbon, we can calculate the energy difference between level n = 10 and level n = 5 to be -1.63 x 10^-19 joules. Plugging this value into the formula, we get a frequency of approximately 2.46 x 10^14 hertz.

5. How does the frequency of a transition between energy levels relate to the wavelength of the emitted or absorbed light?

The frequency and wavelength of light are inversely proportional, meaning that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases and vice versa. Therefore, the higher the frequency of the transition, the shorter the wavelength of the emitted or absorbed light.