Calculate the friction between sticks and the ceiling/floor

In summary, the metal stick is connected to the ceiling with a 60° angle, and the friction between the 2 pieces is unknown. There is insufficient information to calculate the force between the pieces.
Jorgen1224

Homework Statement

There is a metal stick that is connected to the ceiling with another one. The angle between them is 60°. Calculate the friction.

Both lengths and weights are the same.

Homework Equations

T = f N
or actually none, except trygonometry

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using this equation T = f N and convert it somehow, but i bet that trygonometry is strictly required here, but i don't really know how to use it. So I'm asking for any tips that could help me out.

I see that if we cut this structure in a half then we have 2 equal rectangular triangles with angles: 30, 60 and 90. And i don't really know what am i supposed to do next
upload_2018-4-4_22-0-30-png.png

Sorry for inaccuracies, because scientific english is quite new for me.
------------------
Actually i made a new thread, because in the last one i made a huge mistake, i simply meant friction but I wrote tension :sorry: Sorry for those who attempted at my problem and tried to understand what i meant.

Attachments

• 29790877_1437685993008797_8254060898136284371_n.jpg
    29790877_1437685993008797_8254060898136284371_n.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 493
  • upload_2018-4-4_22-0-30-png.png
    upload_2018-4-4_22-0-30-png.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem statement doesn't make sense to me. Can you post it exactly as written.

Can you mark on the drawing which way gravity is acting.

It's something that was told to me, but i'll try to explain it better.

There are 2 metal bars as shown on the picture, the angle between them is 60°. We're supposed to calculate minimum coefficient of friction so that this is possible.
Their lenghts and weights are the same.

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-4_22-0-30.png
    upload_2018-4-4_22-0-30.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 491
I don't think you can solve this. There is not enough information to calculate the force that the top bar puts on the ceiling.

It depends on:

1)The vertical distance between the open ends of the bars.
2)The vertical distance between floor and ceiling.

2) must be less than 1).

3)The thickness of the bars. They create a force on the ceiling by bending.

Can I check... Are the two bars are welded together where they join at 60 degrees?

Yes, they are

And just to be clear actually the force we're supposed to find is the bottom one. Top one is connected to the ceiling, but the bottom one is not. Sorry if i said something wrong or forgot to mention something.

Jorgen1224 said:
Yes, they are
As CWatters notes, if they are welded together there is no limit to the normal force, so no way to solve the problem.
As I wrote on the previous instance of this thread, I would assume the top rod is freely jointed at each end. And as I also wrote there, draw a free body diagram for each rod, write out the forces acting on each, and the usual statics equations relating them.

Likes CWatters
Okay, thanks, i'll make an attempt.

And also this problem could be put in other words: What minimum coefficient of friction must be present so the structure doesn't slide (to the left)

Anyway if there was indeed a mistake in what i said before or something like that i am going to post here a solution to this problem after i ask my teacher about it tomorrow.

+1

I agree with all of that.

Okay i was just told that the angle can change... That indeed changes a lot

1. What factors affect the friction between sticks and the ceiling/floor?

The main factors that affect the friction between sticks and the ceiling/floor are the type of surface, the weight of the sticks, and the amount of force applied.

2. How do I calculate the friction between sticks and the ceiling/floor?

To calculate the friction between sticks and the ceiling/floor, you will need to determine the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces and multiply it by the normal force (weight of the sticks) acting on the surface.

3. What is the coefficient of friction and how does it affect the friction between sticks and the ceiling/floor?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. It is affected by the texture, roughness, and material of the surfaces and can greatly impact the amount of friction between sticks and the ceiling/floor.

4. How can I reduce the friction between sticks and the ceiling/floor?

To reduce the friction between sticks and the ceiling/floor, you can try using a lubricant or changing the surface material. You can also decrease the weight of the sticks or reduce the force applied.

5. Why is it important to calculate the friction between sticks and the ceiling/floor?

Calculating the friction between sticks and the ceiling/floor is important because it can help you determine the amount of force needed to move the sticks, as well as the potential for slipping or sliding. It can also help in designing structures or systems that involve objects in contact with surfaces.