1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the length of the given curve part 2

1. Nov 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]\vec r (t) = \vec u +t \vec v for -4 \le t \le 6[/itex] where u and v are constant vectors and v not equal 0

Do i proceed with the usual calculation of differentiating r wrt t, find the magnitude and then integrate between limits? Looks too simple for that. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2011 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/Mathematics/geomath/level2/fvec/fv4.html

but in this case it indeed looks like:

[tex]\frac{d\vec r}{dt}=\vec v[/tex]

... think what differentiation means. How [itex]\vec r[/itex] changes with time is it grows in the [itex]\vec v[/itex] direction and the rate of that growth is the magnitude.

The intergral will be the area between the path mapped out by [itex]\vec r(t)[/itex] and ... something.

Of course, I'm only guessing that you have been asked to differentiate and integrate that function ... you didn't actually say.

If we consider r to be a displacement, then [itex]\vec u = \vec r(0)[/itex] and [itex]\vec v[/itex] is, indeed, the velocity.
    It is not clear what the area under the displacement-time graph represents.
    It's easier to think about if r is a velocity, u is initial velocity, and v is the acceleration.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  4. Nov 4, 2011 #3
    It says I have to calculate the length of the curve for the given problem.

5. Nov 4, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is very simple. Just do it.

6. Nov 4, 2011 #5
    I get [itex]10 \vec v[/itex] by differentiating r(t) wrt t , getting its magnitude which is v and then integrating between the limits wrt t...

7. Nov 4, 2011 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is confusing. You don't get [itex]10\vec v[/itex] as the derivative if that is what you mean. And if you mean that is the answer it isn't correct either because the answer must be a scalar.

8. Nov 4, 2011 #7
    Well yes I realise the answer is a scalar because I know the vector v is a constant as stated in the problem hence 10 times a constant?

r(t)= u + tv.
    dr(t)= v.

Magnitude = (v^2)^(1/2) =v. Then integrate this between the limits from -4 to 6....

9. Nov 4, 2011 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to use different notation for a vector [itex]\vec v[/itex] and its magnitude [itex]|\vec v| = v[/itex]. Otherwise it is difficult to tell whether you are using the vector or its magnitude. You are using v for both above.

10. Nov 4, 2011 #9
    [itex]d \vec r (t)= \vec v[/itex]. Therefore the magnitude is [itex]| \vec v| = v[/itex]. Then

[itex]\int_{-4}^{6} v dt = 10v[/itex]...?

That is what I did . Correct?

11. Nov 4, 2011 #10

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. That is much better and it is correct.

12. Nov 5, 2011 #11

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Neato :)
    I'm a big fan of understanding the problem.

If r(t) is a position vector, then the thingy's motion has speed |v| in the direction v/|v| and passes through position u at t=0. Since v is a constant vector, the path is a straight line. We want to know how far the thingy has traveled between t=-4 and t=6 units.

Since it's linear, that's just the final position subtracted from the initial position - or the speed multiplied by the elapsed time.

Of course, that's probably not mathematically rigorous.

13. Nov 5, 2011 #12

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Neato :)
    I'm a big fan of understanding the problem.

If r(t) is a position vector, then the thingy's motion has speed |v| in the direction v/|v| and passes through position u at t=0. Since v is a constant vector, the path is a straight line. We want to know how far the thingy has traveled between t=-4 and t=6 units.

Since it's linear, that's just the final position subtracted from the initial position - or the speed multiplied by the elapsed time.

Of course, that's probably not mathematically rigorous.

14. Nov 5, 2011 #13
    good insight! Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook