Calculate the range of S using Laplace Transform

In summary, the range of values for s is s > -0.5, as determined by taking the integral of e^(-st)e^(-t/2)u(t) from 0 to infinity and using the Laplace transform chart. However, the two methods seem to give conflicting results and it is suggested to double check the transform table.
DODGEVIPER13

Homework Statement

find the range of values for s: f(t)=e^(-t/2)u(t)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

what I did initially was to take the integral from 0 to infinity of e^(-st)e^(-t/2)u(t) dt this gave me 2/(2s+1) which when I sub in -.5 to find a divide by 0 or discontinuity then s>-.5. Then I realizeed I could do it by using the laplace transform chart so the transform of e^(-t/2)u(t) which gives s+(1/2) which gives (2s+1)/2 this is backwards from what I found earlier? I don't understand how the integral can be different from the transform but anyways if I plug in a negative .5 I would get 0 which would not be a discontinuity so it appears this way wouldn't work hmm any sugestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should check your transform table again. The entry for exponential decay should be of the form ##\frac{1}{s + \alpha}##

Related to Calculate the range of S using Laplace Transform

1. What is the Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is often used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations.

2. How is the range of S calculated using Laplace Transform?

The range of S can be calculated by taking the Laplace Transform of the function and then finding the limits of the resulting expression as s approaches infinity. This will give the upper bound for the range of S.

3. What is the significance of calculating the range of S using Laplace Transform?

Calculating the range of S using Laplace Transform allows us to determine the stability of a system. If the upper bound for the range of S is finite, then the system is stable. If the upper bound is infinite, then the system is unstable.

4. Can Laplace Transform be applied to any function?

No, Laplace Transform can only be applied to functions that are piecewise continuous and have an exponential order. This means that the function must be continuous and have an exponential growth or decay as time approaches infinity.

5. Are there any limitations to using Laplace Transform?

Yes, Laplace Transform has limitations when dealing with functions that have discontinuities or singularities. In these cases, it may be necessary to use other techniques to solve the problem.