Calculate the specific heat capacity of this metal

In summary, the specific heat capacity of the metal is 0.316. The equation used to calculate this is Q = mc(DELTA)T, where Q is the heat lost, m is the mass of the metal, and (DELTA)T is the change in temperature. Plugging in the values of 775 calories for Q, 35 grams for m, and 70 degrees Celsius for (DELTA)T, we get a value of 0.316 for c. This was confirmed by the original poster, who initially got an answer of 0.34 but later calculated it to be 2.90, and then finally arrived at the correct answer of 0.316.
shann0nsHERE
When a 35 gram piece of some metal at 100°C is placed in water, it loses 775 calories of heat while cooling to 30°C. Calculate the specific heat capacity of this metal.

Q = mc(DELTA)T

T = 70 degrees C
m = 35 g
Q = 775 cal ??

When i plugged it in i got 0.34 but the program said it was wrong...and then i tried

c- 775 = (70)(35)c
c = 2.90

but I'm afraid to enter this answer because I only have one more chance to get it right...

Physics news on Phys.org
shann0nsHERE said:
When a 35 gram piece of some metal at 100°C is placed in water, it loses 775 calories of heat while cooling to 30°C. Calculate the specific heat capacity of this metal.

Q = mc(DELTA)T

T = 70 degrees C
m = 35 g
Q = 775 cal ??

When i plugged it in i got 0.34 but the program said it was wrong...and then i tried

c- 775 = (70)(35)c
c = 2.90

but I'm afraid to enter this answer because I only have one more chance to get it right...

When i plugged everything in i got c=.316 = 775/(35*70)

Thank you so so so much!

1. What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius.

2. Why is it important to calculate the specific heat capacity of a metal?

Calculating the specific heat capacity of a metal is important in understanding its thermal properties and how it will react to changes in temperature. This information can be helpful in various industrial and scientific applications, such as designing cooling systems or determining the heat resistance of materials.

3. How do you calculate the specific heat capacity of a metal?

The specific heat capacity of a metal can be calculated by measuring the mass, initial temperature, and final temperature of the metal, and plugging these values into the formula: specific heat capacity = (heat energy absorbed)/(mass x change in temperature).

4. What units are used to measure specific heat capacity?

The SI unit for specific heat capacity is joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C). However, other units such as calories per gram per degree Celsius (cal/g°C) or joules per kilogram per degree Celsius (J/kg°C) may also be used.

5. Can the specific heat capacity of a metal change?

The specific heat capacity of a metal is typically considered a constant value, but it can vary slightly depending on factors such as temperature and pressure. However, these changes are usually minimal and can be accounted for in calculations.