Calculate the specific heat capacity of this metal

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
shann0nsHERE
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
When a 35 gram piece of some metal at 100°C is placed in water, it loses 775 calories of heat while cooling to 30°C. Calculate the specific heat capacity of this metal.

Q = mc(DELTA)T

T = 70 degrees C
m = 35 g
Q = 775 cal ??


When i plugged it in i got 0.34 but the program said it was wrong...and then i tried


c- 775 = (70)(35)c
c = 2.90

but I'm afraid to enter this answer because I only have one more chance to get it right...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
shann0nsHERE said:
When a 35 gram piece of some metal at 100°C is placed in water, it loses 775 calories of heat while cooling to 30°C. Calculate the specific heat capacity of this metal.

Q = mc(DELTA)T

T = 70 degrees C
m = 35 g
Q = 775 cal ??


When i plugged it in i got 0.34 but the program said it was wrong...and then i tried


c- 775 = (70)(35)c
c = 2.90

but I'm afraid to enter this answer because I only have one more chance to get it right...

When i plugged everything in i got c=.316 = 775/(35*70)