Calculate the spring constant k

In summary, a thin uniform rod with a mass of 0.5 kg and length of 0.55 m is at rest on a compressed spring with a pivot at one end. When released from an angle of 63.0o, the rod moves through its horizontal position and stops at an angle of 105.0o before falling back down. Negligible friction is present at the pivot. The speed of the rod at its horizontal position is calculated to be 1.023 m/s. The spring has a length of 0.11 m in (A) and 0.14 m in (B). Using the equation of energy conservation, the spring constant k is determined to be incorrect. The correct calculation
zhenyazh
hi,
i am preparing for the test and have the following question.
as usual i don't see where my mistake is.
an image is attached.

A thin uniform rod has mass M = 0.5 kg and length L= 0.55 m. It has a pivot at one end and is at rest on a compressed spring as shown in (A). The rod is released from an angle θ1= 63.0o, and moves through its horizontal position at (B) and up to (C) where it stops with θ2 = 105.0o, and then falls back down. Friction at the pivot is negligible. Calculate the speed of the CM at (B).

this i found. 1.023 m/s

The spring in (A) has a length of 0.11 m and at (B) a length of 0.14 m. Calculate the spring constant k.

ok so i decided to use a and b to calculate.
i decided to use the height of the rod in b as hight zero.
this means that in a the system has two energies. the potential and the spring.
the equation of energy conservation is:
mgh+0.5kx^2=0.5mv^2
thus
-0.5*9.81*0.55/2*cos(63)+0.5*k*0.03^2=0.5*0.5*1.023^2
but it is wrong.

thanks

Attachments

• prob32a_RodOnSpring.gif
    prob32a_RodOnSpring.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 563
Physics news on Phys.org
ok.
so i managed so solve it but with a and c and not a and b.
this means of course that i calculate the kinetic energy in b wrong.
can u help and explain how it should be done?
just 0.5mv^2 or just 0.5Iw^2 or their sum?
what do i do when

thanks a lot

would it be fair to say
that it has only rotational energy becuase it is fixed at one end?

thanks

1. What is the formula for calculating the spring constant k?

The formula for calculating the spring constant k is k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the force applied to the spring, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

2. How do I measure the spring constant k?

The spring constant k can be measured by applying known forces to the spring and measuring the resulting displacement. Then, using the formula k = F/x, the spring constant can be calculated.

3. What units is the spring constant k measured in?

The spring constant k is typically measured in units of newtons per meter (N/m) in the International System of Units (SI).

4. Can the spring constant k change?

Yes, the spring constant k can change depending on factors such as the material of the spring, the length of the spring, and the temperature. However, for most practical purposes, the spring constant is considered to be constant.

5. How does the spring constant k affect the behavior of a spring?

The spring constant k determines how stiff or soft a spring is. A higher spring constant means the spring is stiffer and will require more force to stretch or compress, while a lower spring constant means the spring is softer and will require less force. It also affects the period and frequency of oscillation of a spring.