Calculate the Weyl and Ricci scalars for a given metric

In summary: The Weyl scalar is just the mathematical measure of how much the metric curve deviates from being a perfect line. If you don't know what the Ricci scalar is, I'm not sure what you would be looking for.
suresh chand
hello dear,
I need to calculate the Weyl and Ricci scalars for a given metric. let's assume for a kerr metric. by using the grtensor-II package in maple i am not able to get the results. would anyone help me out. for ordinary metric like schwarzschild metric, However its not working for Kerr metric or metric having form like kerr metric. does anyone have any idea about this??

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately I don't have maple (and also haven't ever used it). If it helps you, contact me, and I can send you a Mathematica notebook. I've just written a very simple code to evaluate all the stuff needed for a given metric (Christoffel symbols, Ricci Tensor, Einstein tensor, etc.).

actually there is a problem with grtensor package i think, it does work well for some metric, however, like kerr metric it doesn't. yes it would be really helpful if u can send me that code. have u done for Weyl Scalars and Ricci Scalar for kerr?? actually i have calculated (Christoffel symbols, Ricci Tensor, Einstein tensor, etc.) for the same metric, however, i am having trouble for Weyl & Ricci scalars.
Thanks.
suresh

I've never looked at the Kerr metric specifically. You find the Schwarzschild metric, where I used my simple code (just using the definitions of the objects by brute force Ricci calculus ;-)) here:

http://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/cosmo-SS15/

There shouldn't be a problem to just define the Kerr metric in the first few lines and then let run the notebook through Mathemica.

suresh chand said:
the Weyl and Ricci scalars

I know what the Ricci scalar is, but what is the Weyl scalar? I'm not aware of any such thing.

PAllen said:
Perhaps the OP means this

Ah, ok. This is just a repackaging of the Weyl tensor as five complex scalars, i.e., ten real scalars. I don't know which, if any, symbolic math packages handle the Newman-Penrose formalism, which is what would be needed to handle this.

You just do something like this:

qload(kerr);
grcalc(Ricciscalar);
grdisplay(_);
graleter(_);

select simplification method 1;

grdisplay(_);

you should get zero, it's a vacuum solution.

I see an option to calculate WeylSq, which may be the square of what you want, but I'm not positive, I'm not familiar with that. Anyay the procedure is the same as the above

grcalc(WeylSq);
grdisplay(_);

The result is too long to display until you simplify it

gralter(_);
grdisplay(_);

Then you get something like:

$$
-48\,{\frac {{m}^{2} \left( \left( \cos \left( \theta \right) \right) ^{6}{a}^{6}-15\,{r}^{2}{a}^{4} \left(
\cos \left( \theta \right) \right) ^{4}+15\,{r}^{4}{a}^{2} \left(
\cos \left( \theta \right) \right) ^{2}-{r}^{6} \right) }{ \left(
\cos \left( \theta \right) \right) ^{12}{a}^{12}+6\, \left( \cos
\left( \theta \right) \right) ^{10}{r}^{2}{a}^{10}+15\,{a}^{8}
\left( \cos \left( \theta \right) \right) ^{8}{r}^{4}+20\,{a}^{6}
\left( \cos \left( \theta \right) \right) ^{6}{r}^{6}+15\,{a}^{4}
\left( \cos \left( \theta \right) \right) ^{4}{r}^{8}+6\,{a}^{2}
\left( \cos \left( \theta \right) \right) ^{2}{r}^{10}+{r}^{12}}}
$$

which I have no idea if it's actually right or not, or whether it's the thing that you actually want to calculate.

1. What is the significance of calculating the Weyl and Ricci scalars for a given metric?

The Weyl and Ricci scalars are important mathematical quantities used in the study of general relativity. They represent different aspects of the curvature of spacetime and provide valuable information about the geometry of a given metric. In particular, the Weyl scalar measures the gravitational radiation in a spacetime, while the Ricci scalar is related to the energy and mass distribution.

2. How do you calculate the Weyl and Ricci scalars for a given metric?

The Weyl and Ricci scalars can be calculated using the Riemann tensor, which is a geometric object that represents the curvature of spacetime. The Weyl scalar is obtained by taking a specific combination of the components of the Riemann tensor, while the Ricci scalar is calculated by contracting the Riemann tensor with itself. These calculations can be quite complex and often require advanced mathematical techniques.

3. Can the Weyl and Ricci scalars be used to describe the entire curvature of a spacetime?

No, the Weyl and Ricci scalars do not fully describe the curvature of a spacetime. They only capture certain aspects of the curvature, such as gravitational radiation and energy distribution. To fully understand the geometry of a spacetime, other curvature quantities such as the Kretschmann scalar and the Einstein tensor must also be considered.

4. Are the Weyl and Ricci scalars always non-zero, or can they be zero for certain metrics?

The Weyl and Ricci scalars can both be zero for certain metrics. In fact, there are some special types of metrics, known as vacuum solutions, for which both scalars are always zero. These metrics describe spacetimes with no matter or energy present, but still have non-trivial curvature due to the presence of gravitational waves.

5. What is the physical interpretation of the Weyl and Ricci scalars?

The Weyl and Ricci scalars have different physical interpretations. The Weyl scalar is related to the propagation of gravitational waves in a spacetime, while the Ricci scalar is related to the matter and energy content. In general, both scalars provide important information about the curvature and dynamics of a spacetime, and are essential for understanding the behavior of gravity in different situations.