Calculate theoretical static pressure drop in moving fluid

In summary, the conversation discusses using a pressure sensor with an arduino to measure depth and calculating the total pressure in order to take a difference. The idea of turning the tube 90 degrees into the flow is also brought up, with a request for a picture to clarify the setup.
frozenguy
Hi folks,

I have a pressure sensor working with arduino to measure depth. I want to calculate what I should see as a change in pressure if I move the tube horizontally under the surface of the water, keeping the tube opening parallel to the flow.

I have calculated the dynamic pressure but need to calculate the total pressure to take a difference.

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I can maybe turn the tube 90 deg into the flow and then measure that pressure?

Could you provide a picture, perhaps? The shape of the tube and how the pressure transducer is related to it is not clear to me.

1. What is the formula for calculating theoretical static pressure drop in moving fluid?

The formula for calculating theoretical static pressure drop in moving fluid is ΔP = ρgh, where ΔP is the pressure drop, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height difference between the two points in the fluid.

2. What units are used in the formula for calculating theoretical static pressure drop?

The units used in the formula for calculating theoretical static pressure drop are Pascal (Pa) for pressure, kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3) for density, meters per second squared (m/s2) for acceleration due to gravity, and meters (m) for height difference.

3. How do you determine the density of the fluid in the formula for calculating theoretical static pressure drop?

The density of the fluid can be determined by using its known mass and volume, or by using a density meter. It is important to make sure that the units for density are consistent with the other units used in the formula.

4. Can the formula for calculating theoretical static pressure drop be used for all types of fluids?

The formula for calculating theoretical static pressure drop can be used for all types of fluids, as long as the fluid is incompressible and the flow is laminar. It may not be accurate for compressible fluids or turbulent flow.

5. What is the significance of calculating theoretical static pressure drop in moving fluid?

Calculating theoretical static pressure drop in moving fluid is important in many engineering applications, such as designing pipelines, pumps, and other fluid systems. It helps determine the pressure difference between two points in a fluid, which can affect the flow rate and overall performance of the system.