Calculate Train Time 48km Trip

• Thread starter physicsss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, we need to calculate the time it takes for a train to travel a 48 km trip, assuming it accelerates at a rate of 2.0 m/s2 until it reaches 50 km/h, then stays at this speed until its brakes are applied for arrival at the next station, where it decelerates at -3.0 m/s2. The train also stops for 20 seconds at each intermediate station. We can use constant acceleration equations and divide the trip into accelerating, constant, and decelerating parts to help us solve the problem. It would also be helpful to make a sketch or diagram to keep track of the given information.
physicsss
Calculate the time it takes a train to make a 48 km trip in the following two situations. Assume that at each station the train accelerates at a rate of 2.0 m/s2 until it reaches 50 km/h, then stays at this speed until its brakes are applied for arrival at the next station, at which time it decelerates at -3.0 m/s2. Assume it stops at each intermediate station for 20 s.

(a) The stations at which the trains must stop are 0.60 km apart.

I'm confused...

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a step by step problem. What do you know? do you know constant acceleration equations?

physicsss, if you try and start on the problem, we can guide you further. If you don't tell us what you've tried or what ideas you have, we really can't help you.

I'd start with sketches dividing the trip up into accelerating, constant and deccelerating parts. My sketch would look kind of like a number line, and I'd write in what was given and what I could find out about each part.

Related to Calculate Train Time 48km Trip

1. How do you calculate train travel time for a 48km trip?

To calculate train travel time for a 48km trip, you can divide the distance (48km) by the train's average speed. This will give you the amount of time it takes for the train to travel the entire 48km distance.

2. What is the average speed of a train?

The average speed of a train can vary depending on the type of train and the route it is taking. However, on average, a train can travel at speeds of 50-100 km/h.

3. Can you calculate train time for a 48km trip if the train has multiple stops?

Yes, if the train has multiple stops, you can calculate the train time by adding the time it takes for the train to travel between each stop. For example, if the train has 3 stops and each stop takes 10 minutes, the total train time would be 30 minutes in addition to the time it takes to travel the 48km distance.

4. How does the terrain affect the train travel time for a 48km trip?

The terrain can affect the train travel time for a 48km trip as it can impact the train's speed and the difficulty of the route. For example, if the train has to travel through hilly terrain, it may slow down and take longer to reach the destination.

5. Is there a way to calculate the train time for a 48km trip if the train is delayed?

If the train is delayed, the calculated train time may not be accurate. However, you can estimate the new train time by adding the delay time to the original calculated time. For example, if the train was originally estimated to take 1 hour to travel 48km, but is delayed by 30 minutes, the new estimated train time would be 1.5 hours.