Calculate Turbine gross and net output

In summary: No, this is still wrong, but it is arithmetically correct. Where does the 1050 come from?I think I know why my original calculation doesn't make sense. I should appply the first law of thermodynamics. However, I don't know the mass or the enthalpy.
Nemo's

Homework Statement

A steam power plant consists of a boiler, a turbine, a condenser and a pump. The temperature of the inner walls of the boiler is 350oC and the temperature of the condenser cooling water is 20oC. During a certain interval of time, the heat added to the boiler is 2.9x106 kJ and the heat rejected in the condenser is 2.1x106 kJ. If the pump work is 250000 kJ, estimate : a. The turbine gross and net output. b. The thermal efficiency of the power plant. c. The maximum possible efficiency of the power plant.
[/B]

Homework Equations

Second law of thermodynamics.

The Attempt at a Solution

Applying law of conservation of energy to get Wout (Turbine work)
Win-Wout+Qh-Ql=0
250M-Wout+2.9G-2.1G=0
Wout=250.8 MJ

Physics news on Phys.org
Nemo's said:

Homework Statement

A steam power plant consists of a boiler, a turbine, a condenser and a pump. The temperature of the inner walls of the boiler is 350oC and the temperature of the condenser cooling water is 20oC. During a certain interval of time, the heat added to the boiler is 2.9x106 kJ and the heat rejected in the condenser is 2.1x106 kJ. If the pump work is 250000 kJ, estimate : a. The turbine gross and net output. b. The thermal efficiency of the power plant. c. The maximum possible efficiency of the power plant.
[/B]

Homework Equations

Second law of thermodynamics.

The Attempt at a Solution

Win-Wout+Qh-Ql=0
250M-Wout+2.9G-2.1G=0
Wout=250.8 MJ
What's the gross output of the turbine? The net output? What about parts b) and c)?

SteamKing said:
What's the gross output of the turbine? The net output? What about parts b) and c)?

I actually don't understand the difference between the net and gross outputs.
a)I need to make sure that it's correct to get the turbine work output using the law of conservation of energy so I can proceed to b.
b) If I get the turbine output power from a then the efficiency=total power input/total power output =Wout/250M
c)Maximum efficiency =1-TL/TH =1- ((20+273)/(350+273))=0.53=53%
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Nemo's said:
I actually don't understand the difference between the net and gross outputs.
a)I need to make sure that it's correct to get the turbine work output using the law of conservation of energy so I can proceed to b.
b) If I get the turbine output power from a then the efficiency=total power input/total power output =Wout/250M
c)Maximum efficiency =1-TL/TH =1- ((20+273)/(350+273))=0.53=53%
Please correct me if I am wrong.
The turbine is the only thing between the boiler and the condenser. What does that tell you about the gross work output?

The pump is between the condenser and the boiler. Part of the gross output of the turbine must be used to drive the pump. Net work output is ...?

SteamKing said:
The turbine is the only thing between the boiler and the condenser. What does that tell you about the gross work output?

The pump is between the condenser and the boiler. Part of the gross output of the turbine must be used to drive the pump. Net work output is ...?

I think that makes the gross work output = turbine work output = 250.8M and the net output =turbine work output - pump work = 0.8M (according to my previous calculations).

Nemo's said:
I think that makes the gross work output = turbine work output = 250.8M and the net output =turbine work output - pump work = 0.8M (according to my previous calculations).
Your original calculation 1) doesn't make sense and 2) is arithmetically incorrect

Nemo's said:
Win-Wout+Qh-Ql=0
250M-Wout+2.9G-2.1G=0
Wout=250.8 MJ
2.9 G - 2.1 G = 800 M joules

250 M + 800 M = 1050 M joules - Wout = 0

So, how did you come up with Wout = 250.8 M joules? None of your original numbers even have that degree of precision.

SteamKing said:
Your original calculation 1) doesn't make sense and 2) is arithmetically incorrect2.9 G - 2.1 G = 800 M joules

250 M + 800 M = 1050 M joules - Wout = 0

So, how did you come up with Wout = 250.8 M joules? None of your original numbers even have that degree of precision.

Yes I made an arithmetic mistake. Wout should be 1050M according to my original calculation. so net output 1050-250=800M

I think I know why my original calculation doesn't make sense. I should appply the first law of thermodynamics. However, I don't know the mass or the enthalpy.

Nemo's said:
Yes I made an arithmetic mistake. Wout should be 1050M according to my original calculation. so net output 1050-250=800M
No, this is still wrong, but it is arithmetically correct. Where does the 1050 come from?
I think I know why my original calculation doesn't make sense. I should appply the first law of thermodynamics. However, I don't know the mass or the enthalpy.
You don't need to know either. You're given the total heat quantities, which is what you would have obtained from knowing the mass flow rates and the enthalpies anyway.

SteamKing said:
No, this is still wrong, but it is arithmetically correct. Where does the 1050 come from?

You don't need to know either. You're given the total heat quantities, which is what you would have obtained from knowing the mass flow rates and the enthalpies anyway.
O.k what if I say turbine work output = Qh-Ql=2.9G-2.1G=800M would that be correct? I am not sure because similarly I was expecting pump work = 2.9G-2.1G to apply but it doesn't.

Nemo's said:
O.k what if I say turbine work output = Qh-Ql=2.9G-2.1G=800M would that be correct?
Gross or net output?

I am not sure because similarly I was expecting pump work = 2.9G-2.1G to apply but it doesn't.
Why would you think that? The pump work is explicitly given as 250,000 kJ, or 250 MJ, in the problem statement.

2.9 GJ - 2.1 GJ ≠ 250 MJ

SteamKing said:
Gross or net output?

Gross=800M
SteamKing said:
Why would you think that? The pump work is explicitly given as 250,000 kJ, or 250 MJ, in the problem statement.

2.9 GJ - 2.1 GJ ≠ 250 MJ

Net=800m-250M=550M

This makes sense to me. I hope I got it right this time.

Nemo's said:
Gross=800M
Net=800m-250M=550M

This makes sense to me. I hope I got it right this time.
Yes, that's much better.

SteamKing said:
Yes, that's much better.

b)thermal efficiency = Net Work /Qh = 550M/2.9G =19%
c) carnot efficiency = 53% (previusly calculated)

So is this the correct solution ?

Nemo's said:
b)thermal efficiency = Net Work /Qh = 550M/2.9G =19%
c) carnot efficiency = 53% (previusly calculated)

So is this the correct solution ?
Looks good to me.

Thank you so much for your help.

1. What is the difference between gross and net output in turbine calculations?

Gross output refers to the total amount of energy produced by a turbine, while net output is the amount of usable energy that is available for consumption. Net output takes into account any energy losses or inefficiencies in the turbine system.

2. How is turbine gross output calculated?

Turbine gross output is calculated by multiplying the mass flow rate of the fluid passing through the turbine by the difference in enthalpy (energy) between the inlet and outlet of the turbine. This equation can be written as: Gross Output = mass flow rate * (enthalpy inlet - enthalpy outlet)

3. What factors can affect turbine net output?

Several factors can affect turbine net output, including the type of fuel used, the design and efficiency of the turbine, the temperature and pressure of the fluid, and any losses due to friction or mechanical inefficiencies.

4. How can the efficiency of a turbine be determined?

The efficiency of a turbine can be determined by dividing the net output by the gross output. This will give a decimal value, which can be converted to a percentage by multiplying by 100. An efficient turbine will have a high percentage of net output compared to its gross output.

5. Why is it important to calculate both gross and net output in turbine systems?

Calculating both gross and net output allows for a better understanding of the overall efficiency and performance of a turbine system. It also helps in identifying any areas where improvements can be made to increase net output and reduce energy losses.