Calculate Velocity from Cliff Jump: Horizontal and Vertical Distance

• Thread starter Lordrunt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person being stuck on a physics problem involving a person jumping off a cliff at a 26 degree angle. The person is trying to understand how to solve the problem using the 26 degree angle instead of the usual 45 degrees. The expert summarizer suggests looking at a similar thread for help with trajectory problems.
Lordrunt

Homework Statement

Example: A person jumped off of a cliff into the water at a 26 degree angle. He traveled 23 meters (horizontally) and fell 12 meters (vertically). What was the person's velocity?

Homework Equations

X=Vxt + t
Y=Vyt + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I was stuck instantly and I was sick the day we took these notes. So I don't know how to do these types of problems. (unless they're the 45 degree one)

Physics news on Phys.org
How is this so much different than a 45 degree problem? The only difference is the angle, wouldn't you just be able to do it like a 45 degree problem but use 26 degrees instead of 45?

Lordrunt said:

Homework Statement

Example: A person jumped off of a cliff into the water at a 26 degree angle. He traveled 23 meters (horizontally) and fell 12 meters (vertically). What was the person's velocity?

Homework Equations

X=Vxt + t
Y=Vyt + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I was stuck instantly and I was sick the day we took these notes. So I don't know how to do these types of problems. (unless they're the 45 degree one)

Please see my posts in this similar thread about trajectory problems. They should help you understand the techniques used for these types of problems:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=655518

1. What is "Note help / solution(s)"?

"Note help / solution(s)" refers to any assistance or guidance provided to aid in understanding a particular topic, concept, or problem related to taking notes. This can include tips, techniques, or strategies for effective note-taking or specific solutions to common note-taking challenges.

2. Why is note-taking important?

Note-taking is important because it helps us organize and retain information, making it easier to understand and remember. It also allows us to refer back to our notes for review and reference, improving our overall learning and retention.

3. How can note help / solution(s) improve my note-taking skills?

Note help / solution(s) can provide you with techniques and strategies for more effective note-taking, such as using different note-taking methods, organizing your notes, and identifying key information. It can also offer specific solutions to common note-taking challenges, such as how to take notes during a lecture or while reading a textbook.

4. Is there a specific note-taking method that is considered the best?

There is no one "best" note-taking method, as different methods may work better for different individuals and situations. It is important to experiment and find a method that works well for you and your learning style. Note help / solution(s) can provide various methods and tips to help you find the most effective approach for you.

5. Can note help / solution(s) be used for digital note-taking?

Yes, note help / solution(s) can be applied to both traditional paper-based note-taking and digital note-taking. Many of the strategies and techniques can be adapted for use in digital note-taking tools, such as note-taking apps or programs. However, note help / solution(s) may also offer specific tips for effective digital note-taking, such as how to use features like highlighting or bookmarking in digital notes.