Calculating Activation Energy and Rate Constant for a Chemical Reaction

  • Thread starter Thread starter kittymaniac84
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Activation Energy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
kittymaniac84
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Activation energy

The reaction, 2NOCI (g) = 2NO (g) + Cl[tex]^{}_2{}[/tex](g) , has rate constant values for the reaction of NOCl of 9.3 x 10^-6 Is at 350 K and 6.9 x 10^-4 Is at 400 K. Calculate the activation energy for the reaction. What is the rate constant at 425 K?

I am unsure how to solve this. Can someone help me and show me how to do it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Excuse me, why the rude behavior? This is suppose to be a help forum. It might be obvious to you, but I'm not sure if I am using the equation right.
 
The Arrhenius equation is ln(k) = ln(A) - E/(RT). You are given values of k at two different temperatures T. R is the gas constant, A and E are empirical constants, E being the activation energy. So just plug the corresponding values (k,T) into this equation to generate two equations in two unknowns. After you know A and E, use the equation to get k at any other T. Does this help?
 
Yes thank you. I already figured this out on my own. That is exactly what I did. Ea=100,232, A=8.47x10^9, and with T=425 I got 4.06x10^-3 for k.

I hope i did the math right but it looks right.