Calculating and Graphing the 4th Root of -4

In summary, calculating and graphing the 4th root of -4 involves finding the number that, when raised to the 4th power, gives a result of -4. This can be done using the formula for finding the 4th root of a negative number, which involves taking the absolute value of the number and then finding the 4th root of that value. The result will be a complex number with both real and imaginary parts. Graphing this result on a complex plane will show a point located in the third quadrant, with a distance of 4 from the origin. This process can be repeated for any negative number, resulting in a series of points forming a curve on the complex plane.
MissP.25_5
Hello everyone.

How to find the 4th root of -4? I know it's just plugging in the number into the formula but how since n=4, how can we calculate that without calculator? And how to draw it? Here I attached what I have done so far.

Attachments

• IMG_6384.jpg
    IMG_6384.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 394
Physics news on Phys.org
How you draw z=-4? What is the angle of -4? It is not 0 as you wrote.

ehild

It would help to express -4 in complex exponential form.

MissP.25_5 said:
Hello everyone.

How to find the 4th root of -4? I know it's just plugging in the number into the formula but how since n=4, how can we calculate that without calculator? And how to draw it? Here I attached what I have done so far.

You've made a simple mistake in your calculation of arg(-4).

z = -4 + i0, or (-4, 0)

θ = arctan (0/-4) = π

Even though z = -4, draw it on the complex plane properly.

SteamKing said:
You've made a simple mistake in your calculation of arg(-4).

z = -4 + i0, or (-4, 0)

θ = arctan (0/-4) = π

Even though z = -4, draw it on the complex plane properly.

Oh yes, that was a careless mistake. Ok, so now I have the values:
r=4
n=4
θ=∏

But how do I find 4√4 ?

You know that [tex]x^4= (x^2)^2[/tex], right? So [tex]\sqrt[4]{4}= \sqrt{\sqrt{4}}[/tex]. What is the square root of 4? What is the square root of that?

MissP.25_5 said:
Oh yes, that was a careless mistake. Ok, so now I have the values:
r=4
n=4
θ=∏

But how do I find 4√4 ?

Use this information and apply Euler's formula.

z = r e[itex]^{i θ}[/itex]

z[itex]^{1/n}[/itex] = r[itex]^{1/n}[/itex] e[itex]^{i kθ / n}[/itex], [itex]0\leq k \lt n[/itex]

See:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Extras/ComplexPrimer/Roots.aspx

SteamKing said:

z[itex]^{1/n}[/itex] = r[itex]^{1/n}[/itex] e[itex]^{i kθ / n}[/itex], [itex]0\leq k \lt n[/itex]

See:

If I compute z = r e[itex]^{i θ}[/itex], wouldn't that bring us back to the start? Because that is -4.
Could you elaborate please? I don't really get it.

HallsofIvy said:
You know that [tex]x^4= (x^2)^2[/tex], right? So [tex]\sqrt[4]{4}= \sqrt{\sqrt{4}}[/tex]. What is the square root of 4? What is the square root of that?

Thanks! I never thought of that. But what if we were to find the 5th root? I don't think this method can be applied.

MissP.25_5 said:
If I compute z = r e[itex]^{i θ}[/itex], wouldn't that bring us back to the start? Because that is -4.
Could you elaborate please? I don't really get it.

That's your problem in a nutshell. You are working with complex numbers and you don't understand what is going on.

SteamKing said:

I wrote these two formulas as a reminder of

1. how to express any number in exponential form, using Euler's formula, and

2. how to find the n nth roots of said number.

Your original problem was to find the 4 fourth roots of -4, or in other words, solve the equation

[itex]z^{4}+4 = 0[/itex] or

[itex]z^{4}= -4[/itex]

Let's say the solutions to this equation are the complex numbers

[itex]ω_{1}, ω_{2}, ω_{3}[/itex], and [itex]ω_{4}[/itex]

By writing -4 in the form [itex]z = r e^{i θ}[/itex], where z = -4,
we can use the second formula from the quote,

z[itex]^{1/n}[/itex] = r[itex]^{1/n}[/itex] e[itex]^{i kθ / n}[/itex]

to calculate the numerical values of ω

I really recommend that you study the article linked below very carefully:

For a better visual representation of the cyclic nature of such roots:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RootofUnity.html

Related to Calculating and Graphing the 4th Root of -4

1. What is the 4th root of -4?

The 4th root of -4 is -1.41421. This is because when a number is raised to the 4th power, the result is the number multiplied by itself four times. So, the 4th root of -4 is the number that, when multiplied by itself four times, equals -4.

2. How do you calculate the 4th root of -4?

To calculate the 4th root of -4, you can use a calculator or manually use the exponent and root functions. To manually calculate, you can raise -4 to the power of 1/4, which is the same as taking the 4th root of -4. The result is -1.41421.

3. Can the 4th root of -4 be simplified?

Yes, the 4th root of -4 can be simplified to -2. This is because the 4th root of a negative number can be written as the product of the square root of the number and the 4th root of -1. So, the 4th root of -4 is equal to the square root of 4 times the 4th root of -1, which simplifies to -2.

4. How is the 4th root of -4 represented on a graph?

The 4th root of -4 is represented on a graph as a point on the x-axis at -1.41421. This is because the x-coordinate of a point on the x-axis is the same as the value of the number. So, the 4th root of -4 is represented by a point at -1.41421 on the x-axis.

5. What are the real and imaginary parts of the 4th root of -4?

The 4th root of -4 has a real part of -1.41421 and an imaginary part of 0. This is because the 4th root of -4 is a complex number, which has both a real and imaginary part. The real part represents the number on the x-axis and the imaginary part represents the number on the y-axis. Since the 4th root of -4 lies on the x-axis, its imaginary part is 0.