Calculating Angular Displacement in a Centrifuge Rotor

In summary, the centrifuge rotor was accelerated from rest to 20,000 rpm in 5 minutes. To determine the number of turns during its acceleration period, the formula for constant angular acceleration can be used. By dividing the total angular displacement by 2π, a value of 49,990.5 turns is obtained. Alternatively, the average speed of 10,000 rpm can be multiplied by 5 minutes to also get a value of 50,000 turns.
pb23me

Homework Statement

A centrifuge rotor is acceleratedfrom rest to 20,000 rpm in 5min.
Through how many turns has the centrifuge rotor turned during its acceleration period?Assume constant angular acceleration.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just concluded that it made 4,000 rev the first min then 8,000 the second min 12,000 third min 16,000 fourth and 20,000 the 5th. I then added them all to get 60,000 rev... even if this is correct is there a different way of obtaing this answer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think your method is correct, though it has considerable ingenuity about it. Because of the constant angular acceleration, it likely reached a speed of 4000 RPM at the END of the first minute. But that would not be 4000 turns during the first minute.

The purpose of this sort of question is to familiarize yourself with the use of the rotational motion formulas so you can solve these problems very quickly and surely. And go on to greater things. I suggest you find the formulas for constant rotational acceleration, study them and try to find one or two that can be applied to this problem. You many need to convert the RPM into the standard unit of rotational velocity, radians per second.

Ok well i have four equations listed in my lab book that i don't know what they are... i listed these four equations on a thread labeled Rotational motion equations. I would like to know what those equations are however no one has responded to me yet. Maybe you could take a look and tell me what those equations are...

ok i did [itex]\theta[/itex]2=1/2[itex]\alpha[/itex](t)2
so [itex]\theta[/itex]=314100 rad so dividing that by2[itex]\pi[/itex] i got 49990.5 turns

Looks good!
By guess and by golly, the average speed would be half of 20,000 RPM or 10,000 RPM. For 5 minutes, 50,000 RPM.
Your answer should be rounded to 4 digit accuracy because you have so rounded pi; ending up with 50 000 RPM both ways.

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion refers to the movement of an object around a fixed point or axis. This type of motion can be seen in objects such as a spinning top, a rotating wheel, or a swinging pendulum.

2. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed axis. It is typically measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

3. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

The main difference between rotational motion and linear motion is the type of movement. In linear motion, an object moves in a straight line, while in rotational motion, an object moves in a circular path around a fixed point.

4. What is the relationship between torque and rotational motion?

Torque is the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is directly proportional to the angular acceleration of an object and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

5. How can rotational motion problems be solved?

To solve a rotational motion problem, you can use the equations of rotational motion, such as the rotational analogs of Newton's laws and the equations for angular velocity and acceleration. It is also important to carefully consider the direction of rotation and the forces and torques acting on the object.