Calculating Average Force from Water Flow Rate and Height

In summary, water falls 3.2 m from a horizontal drainpipe at a rate of 120 kg per minute, and exerts an average force of -15.84 N on the ground.
mooshasta
Hey.. I was looking over a physics team test, and I can't figure out how to solve this problem. I've asked my teachers and they can't help me either.

Water runs out of a horizontal drainpipe at a rate of 120 kg per minute. It falls 3.2 m to the ground. Assuming the water doesn't splash up, what average force does it exert on the ground?

I'm not sure where to start with this- I believe that if the diameter of the pipe was given, you could find the velocity of the water, but without it I'm not sure where to begin. Just a little help would be greatly appriciated. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
The change in the momentum of a particle of fluid in the vertical direction equals the negative of (its mass)* sqrt(2* acceleration due to gravity* 3.2m). This momentum is transferred to the ground ( assuming, as you said, the water doesn't splash around). Since the particles weighing 120kg fall on the ground per minute, the average force is
- (120)*sqrt( 2*acc. due to gravity* 3.2) Newton per min.
A fluid particle may have a velocity in the horizontal direction, but it remains unchanged throughout the fall & the fluid continues to flow along the ground. I assumed, based on the few drainpipes I've seen in my life :smile: ,that initially the vertical component of the velocity was negligible.
I am, with great respect,
Einstone.

einstone said:
The change in the momentum of a particle of fluid in the vertical direction equals the negative of (its mass)* sqrt(2* acceleration due to gravity* 3.2m). This momentum is transferred to the ground ( assuming, as you said, the water doesn't splash around). Since the particles weighing 120kg fall on the ground per minute, the average force is
- (120)*sqrt( 2*acc. due to gravity* 3.2) Newton per min.
To clarify Einstone's solution, we have for the momentum of fluid mass "m":
p = m*v
Δp = m*Δv
{Average Force During Time ΔT} = Δp/ΔT = m*Δv/ΔT

The kinetic energy change of fluid mass "m" is related to the work performed by gravity over distance "d" on "m" by:
Δ{(1/2)*m*(v^2)} = (1/2)*m*{(vf)^2 - (vi)^2} = F*d
Or in this case, since vi=(0):
(1/2)*m*(vf)^2 = m*g*d
vf= sqrt{2*g*d}
Δv = sqrt{2*g*d} - 0 = sqrt{2*g*d}

{Average Force On Ground During Time ΔT} = -Δp/ΔT =
= -m*Δv/ΔT = -m*sqrt{2*g*d}/ΔT =
= -(120 kg)*sqrt{2*(9.8 m/sec^2)*(3.2 m)}/(60 sec)
= (-15.84 N)

~~

Last edited:
Thank you so much, 16 N was the answer given. :)

Related to Calculating Average Force from Water Flow Rate and Height

1. What is a Physics Team Test and why is it important?

A Physics Team Test is a timed exam that tests the knowledge and problem-solving skills of students in the field of physics. It is important because it allows students to apply their understanding of physics concepts to real-world problems and challenges, preparing them for future careers in science and technology.

2. How should I prepare for a Physics Team Test?

To prepare for a Physics Team Test, it is important to have a strong understanding of key physics concepts and principles. Practice solving various types of physics problems and familiarize yourself with the format and structure of the exam. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek guidance from a teacher or tutor.

3. What types of questions are typically included in a Physics Team Test?

A Physics Team Test may include a variety of questions, such as multiple choice, short answer, and problem-solving questions. These questions may cover topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and optics.

4. What strategies can I use to solve a Physics Team Test efficiently?

One effective strategy for solving a Physics Team Test is to read through the entire exam and answer the questions you know first. This will help you save time and gain confidence for more challenging questions. It is also important to show your work and use diagrams or equations when necessary to fully explain your solutions.

5. How is a Physics Team Test graded?

A Physics Team Test is typically graded based on the number of correct answers. Some exams may also include partial credit for showing work or providing a correct approach to a problem, even if the final answer is incorrect. It is important to carefully read and follow the instructions for each question to maximize your score.