Calculating Average Velocity: Solving a Train Motion Problem in Physics

In summary: Add the y-components of the three vectors to get the resultant displacement vector.Looks good so far.Next I found the total distance.42km/h*.550h=23.1km42km/h*.417h=17.5km42km/h*1.15h=48.3kmThen I divided displacement over time to get an unconvincing and completely wrong answer of -4.47
Dan Feerst

Homework Statement

A train at a constant 42.0 km/h moves east for 33 min, then in a direction 64.0° east of due north for 25.0 min, and then west for 69.0 min. What are the (a) magnitude (in km/h) and (b) angle (relative to north, with east of north positive and west of north negative) of its average velocity during this trip?

Homework Equations

The way I inturpreted the problem I needed to first find the time in hours and the displacement in kilometers for each vector then I added the displacements over the times. here is the work I did.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I calculated the total time. Since time isn't a vector I added everything.
33'*/60'=.550h
25'*/60'=.417h
69'/60'=1.15h
Sum = 2.12h

Next I found the total distance
42km/h*.550h=23.1km
42km/h*.417h=17.5km
42km/h*1.15h=48.3km

then I added the magnitudes of the three vectors taking the magnitude of the x coordinate for the second
r=(23.1km)+(17.5km *Cos(26))-(48.3km)= -9.47

Finally I divided displacement over time to get an unconvincing and completely wrong answer of -4.47

What did I do wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
For average velocity, it should be sufficient to consider the total displacement (resultant vector of the sum of all displacement vectors). Correct me if I'm wrong.

You need to sort out the difference between average speed and average velocity.

Welcome to Physics Forums.
Dan Feerst said:

The Attempt at a Solution

First I calculated the total time. Since time isn't a vector I added everything.
33'*/60'=.550h
25'*/60'=.417h
69'/60'=1.15h
Sum = 2.12h
Looks good so far.

Next I found the total distance
42km/h*.550h=23.1km
42km/h*.417h=17.5km
42km/h*1.15h=48.3km

then I added the magnitudes of the three vectors taking the magnitude of the x coordinate for the second
r=(23.1km)+(17.5km *Cos(26))-(48.3km)= -9.47
This is just the x-coordinate of r. You need to also:

1. Use the angle w.r.t. the x-axis when you take the cosine to get the x-component.
2. Find the y-coordinate of r, so that you get the complete displacement vector r.

1. What is average velocity?

Average velocity is defined as the displacement of an object divided by the time it takes to travel that distance. It is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction over a given period of time.

2. How is average velocity different from average speed?

Average velocity takes into account the direction of an object's motion, while average speed only measures the magnitude of the object's motion. This means that two objects can have the same average speed, but different average velocities if they are moving in different directions.

3. What is the formula for calculating average velocity?

The formula for average velocity is: average velocity = displacement / time. This means that you take the difference between the initial and final position of an object and divide it by the time it took to travel that distance.

4. Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative. This occurs when an object is moving in the negative direction (opposite of the positive direction) and the displacement is also negative. For example, a car moving westward with a displacement of -50 meters would have a negative average velocity.

5. What could I be doing wrong when calculating average velocity?

There are a few common mistakes that can lead to incorrect average velocity calculations. These include using the total distance instead of displacement, using the total time instead of the time interval for the displacement, and forgetting to include the direction of motion in the calculation.