Calculating Bullet Trajectory for Science Project

• Thread starter sirasher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bullet
In summary: MO TYPE:In summary, you can calculate the distance a bullet travels by using the muzzle velocity and the angle from the ground the bullet is fired at.
sirasher
I am doing a science project and need a few questions answered. I am trying to theoretically determine which caliber of bullet is capable of traveling the farthest. I've already assumed that the time each caliber of bullet spends in the air is going to be exactly the same. Therefore, I'm assuming each bullet is shot perfectly horizontally at an altitude of 9.8 m, so each bullet hits the ground in 1 second. To determine the distance each bullet travels, I need the velocity. I'm aware of theexit velocities of each caliber of bullet. But while some bullets may exit the barrel faster than others, drag slows each one down at different rates. I was wondering if anyone could get me an equation that I could use to determine the deceleration due to drag for each caliber of bullet.

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you're building in an extra lot of work trying to work out the drag on the bullets, you can calculate the trajectories just using the muzzell velocity and the angle from the ground the bullet is fired. The difference between rifle calibers is so small compared to the differences in initial velocity. Just neglect to mention air resistance.

If you really want to calculate the drag i think you can do it by taking the cross sectional area of the bullet and you'll also need a constant to account for the different shapes of the bullets, finally you'll need to find a drag coefficient for air. All this sounds like a real mission to get, maybe someone else thinks of a simpler solution. Also with something like a bullet you'll get into all kinds of complicated rubbish with turbulent flow and shock waves if your bullets are supersonic.

sirasher said:
I am doing a science project and need a few questions answered. I am trying to theoretically determine which caliber of bullet is capable of traveling the farthest. I've already assumed that the time each caliber of bullet spends in the air is going to be exactly the same. Therefore, I'm assuming each bullet is shot perfectly horizontally at an altitude of 9.8 m, so each bullet hits the ground in 1 second. To determine the distance each bullet travels, I need the velocity. I'm aware of theexit velocities of each caliber of bullet. But while some bullets may exit the barrel faster than others, drag slows each one down at different rates. I was wondering if anyone could get me an equation that I could use to determine the deceleration due to drag for each caliber of bullet.
Your time of flight of 1 sec. is incorrect. If you fire at a height of 9.8m, the bullet will drop only half that height in one second ([itex]h = \frac{1}{2}gt^2[/itex]).

In order to determine the actual horizontal distance traveled before hitting the ground, you would need to know the horizontal speed as a function of time or distance. The problem is that this is not linear. Drag deceleration is a function of the square of the bullet velocity.

I think you can assume that the drag coefficients of all the bullets are about the same. The distance ultimately depends on the muzzle velocity of each bullet.

AM

Related to Calculating Bullet Trajectory for Science Project

1. How do you calculate bullet trajectory for a science project?

To calculate bullet trajectory for a science project, you will need to gather information such as the bullet's initial velocity, mass, and the angle at which it is fired. Then, you can use the equations of motion and the principles of projectile motion to calculate the bullet's trajectory.

2. What factors affect the bullet trajectory?

The bullet trajectory can be affected by factors such as air resistance, gravity, and the initial velocity and angle of the bullet. Other factors such as wind speed and direction, temperature, and elevation can also play a role in the trajectory.

3. How accurate are the calculations for bullet trajectory?

The accuracy of the calculations for bullet trajectory depends on the accuracy of the data used and the precision of the equations and formulas used. In real-life situations, there may be other factors that can affect the trajectory, so the calculations may not always be 100% accurate.

4. Can you use a computer program to calculate bullet trajectory?

Yes, there are many computer programs and simulations available that can accurately calculate bullet trajectory. These programs use complex mathematical algorithms and take into account various factors to provide accurate results.

5. How can bullet trajectory calculations be applied in real life?

Calculating bullet trajectory can be applied in real life situations such as hunting, military operations, and forensic investigations. It can also be used in the design and testing of weapons and ammunition. Understanding bullet trajectory can also help in improving accuracy and precision in shooting sports.