Calculating CO2 expansion time and generated suction

In summary: When we open valve between tank #1 and tank #2, the gas should rush in from the rest of the system to the tank #2 because of the pressure difference, right? CO2will be forced into a vacant space in tank #2?
DrFreeman
I need help with figuring out how to devise an equation that I'm going to plug into an algorithm for my software.
These are the components:
oeXxDht.png

CO2 cartridge pressure regulator output should be around 200 psi. Tank #1 has a volume of 800 mL, pressure is around 15 psi. There are no valves between pressure regulator and the first tank. Pressure in tank #2 is about 7 psi (soft vacuum). There is a valve between first and second tank, right at the entry point for tank #2. The question is, what will happen when the valve between tank #1 and tank #2 is opened and the CO2 from the cartridge released at the same time? I need to calculate the amount of suction created at the valve. Also, how much time will be needed until CO2 is redistributed equally throughout the system?
These are the variables: first tank volume, second tank volume, radius and length of first pipe, radius and length of second pipe and pressure regulator output value. The variables for pressure in tanks before gas release can be taken as constant values I described above (15 psi and 7 psi). Also, system will always be running at a room temperature of 25 degrees Celsius. Values for V1 and V2 above are taken as placeholders, just for this example. The goal is to plug in these 7 variables (Rout, V1, V2, r1, h1, r2, h2) into a function and get resulting suction at tank #2 entry point with an approximate gas redistribution time.

If something above is fundamentally wrong, or if I missed anything important, please let me know. I have no experience with dealing with these kind of issues.

Engineering news on Phys.org
DrFreeman said:
I need to calculate the amount of suction created at the valve. Also, how much time will be needed until CO2 is redistributed equally throughout the system?

DrFreeman said:
The variables for pressure in tanks before gas release can be taken as constant values I described above (15 psi and 7 psi).

DrFreeman said:
suction at tank #2 entry point
"Suction?"

Bystander said:
"Suction?"
I'm sorry for not clarifying. When we open valve between tank #1 and tank #2, the gas should rush in from the rest of the system to the tank #2 because of the pressure difference, right? CO2will be forced into a vacant space in tank #2? Maybe the suction isn't the right term, would gas velocity through the valve make more sense?

1. How do you calculate CO2 expansion time?

The CO2 expansion time can be calculated by dividing the volume of CO2 released by the flow rate of the release. This will give you the time it takes for the CO2 to expand and fill the designated space.

2. What factors affect the CO2 expansion time?

The CO2 expansion time can be affected by various factors including temperature, pressure, and the type of container the CO2 is released into. Higher temperatures and lower pressures will result in a faster expansion time, while a smaller container will result in a longer expansion time.

3. How is suction created by CO2 expansion?

When CO2 expands, it creates a lower pressure zone around it due to the decrease in density. This lower pressure zone creates a suction force, pulling in surrounding air or objects towards the expanding CO2.

4. How can CO2 expansion be used for practical purposes?

CO2 expansion and the resulting suction force can be used for various practical purposes such as in fire extinguishers, aerosol spray cans, and airbags in cars. It can also be used in industrial processes for cleaning, cooling, and pressurizing.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when dealing with CO2 expansion?

Yes, it is important to handle CO2 expansion with caution as it can be dangerous if not handled properly. It is important to wear protective gear and ensure proper ventilation when working with CO2. It is also important to follow manufacturer's instructions and guidelines when using CO2 containers or equipment.