Calculating Coefficient of Friction for a Coin on a Turntable

• Thread starter atmega-ist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Turntable
In summary: It's always good to double check your work and make sure your units are correct. And no worries, I'm sure the server can handle a few extra lines of text.
atmega-ist
I've got the answer to the problem but I'm one decimal place off from the back of the book and am suspecting a typo (no, lol... not that presumptuous...) the reason for the suspicion is that there's a zero after the answer where the units would go but this question is asking for a coefficient of friction so, of course, there should be no units... I'm just wondering if that zero was somehow misplaced in printing/formatting... I could be completely missing something though.

Homework Statement

A coin placed 30.0cm from the center of a rotating, horizontal turntable slips when its speed is 50.0cm/s. What is the coefficient of static friction between the coin and turntable?

Homework Equations

[tex]\mu_{s}=\frac{v^{2}}{gr}[/tex]

[tex]\mu_{s}=\frac{.05m/s^{2}}{(9.81m/s^{2})*.03m/s^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\mu_{s}=.0085[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The book states ".085 0"

Is my solution correct or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
atmega-ist said:
I've got the answer to the problem but I'm one decimal place off from the back of the book and am suspecting a typo (no, lol... not that presumptuous...) the reason for the suspicion is that there's a zero after the answer where the units would go but this question is asking for a coefficient of friction so, of course, there should be no units... I'm just wondering if that zero was somehow misplaced in printing/formatting... I could be completely missing something though.

Homework Statement

A coin placed 30.0cm from the center of a rotating, horizontal turntable slips when its speed is 50.0cm/s. What is the coefficient of static friction between the coin and turntable?

Homework Equations

[tex]\mu_{s}=\frac{v^{2}}{gr}[/tex]

[tex]\mu_{s}=\frac{.05m/s^{2}}{(9.81m/s^{2})*.03m/s^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\mu_{s}=.0085[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The book states ".085 0"

Is my solution correct or am I missing something?

Thanks!

You didn't convert from cm to meters correctly. The units aren't written properly, either. Is that just a typing error on your part?

You didn't convert from cm to meters correctly.

I have no words...

You're exactly right. Two semesters of chemistry with EVERYTHING in mm and mL started a pretty bad habit of glossing over conversions.

The units aren't written properly, either. Is that just a typing error on your part?

Sure is. I think I got a bit carried away with the ol' CTRL+V.

Thanks so much for the second look (a.k.a. "smack-in-the-back-of-the-head").

Lol... Apologies for taking up server space for this one :rolleyes:

Don't worry, I think we've all been there! :wink:

Your solution appears to be correct. The coefficient of static friction is a dimensionless quantity, so there should be no units attached to it. It is possible that there was a typo in the book, or the zero could have been added in error during the printing process. It is always a good idea to double check your calculations and make sure you have the correct units, but in this case it seems like your solution is correct.

Related to Calculating Coefficient of Friction for a Coin on a Turntable

1. What is the purpose of the coin on turntable experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the concept of rotational motion and the effects of centripetal force on an object.

2. How does the coin remain on the turntable without falling off?

The coin remains on the turntable due to the centripetal force, which is the force that acts towards the center of rotation and keeps the object moving in a circular motion.

3. What factors affect the speed of the coin on the turntable?

The speed of the coin on the turntable is affected by the rotational speed of the turntable, the radius of the turntable, and the mass of the coin.

4. Can the experiment be performed with any type of coin?

Yes, the experiment can be performed with any type of coin as long as it is small enough to fit on the turntable and does not interfere with the rotation of the turntable.

5. What other applications does the coin on turntable experiment have?

The coin on turntable experiment is a simplified model of many real-world applications, such as amusement park rides, centrifuges, and even the Earth's rotation around the sun. It helps us understand the concept of centripetal force and its role in circular motion.