Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating current through an IR circuit

1. Oct 1, 2013 #1
    Hi, if I have a DC indoctor-resistor circuit with and inductance (L) of 700μH and a resistance (R) of 0.8Ω, I realise that I can use:

IL = (Vsource/R) * (1-e-t*(R/L))

to calculate the current through the inductor if I have a constant voltage source, but would it be possible to calculate how the current build (and also decay) might look in this or a similar method if my source voltage looked more like:

http://www.dransfield.talktalk.net/VoltageTrace.jpg [Broken]

So far I can't work out how to make this work with a changing voltage, as the equation appears to assume that you always start at 0

Also, on the decay side, the equation:

IL = (Vsource/R) * (e-t*(R/L))

Seems to assume that you always start at current I=V/R, which is not always necessarily true

I hope I've explained myself well enough, and thanks for any help in advance!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi LADransfield! Welcome to PF! :smile:

LdI/dt + RI = V(t)

so use an integrating factor to simplify the LHS into a single integral, and then use area-under-a-graph :wink:

(btw, it's not called an IR circuit, it's an RL circuit)

4. Oct 1, 2013 #3
    Ah, thanks very much, I know it was something similar, but got the wrong letter!

In this case, which "I" would I use in RI? Would this also be the induced current, or just the dI/dt?

5. Oct 1, 2013 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

uhh? :confused:

I is I

dI/dt is d/dt of I

(and the current through R is the same as the current through L … where else would it go?)

6. Oct 1, 2013 #5
    I was under the impression (from here and a few other places) that the total current was I = V/R , but there were different amounts in the inductor and resistor as the current has to build over time in the inductor (iL), but the current in the resistor (iR) was I-iL

I am expecting the current to rise sharply due to the high voltage, then remain a little more constant through the lower (hold) voltage

Simulation and testing shows that this happens, though creating a more one-dimensional approach is proving a little more tricky

7. Oct 1, 2013 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi LADransfield! :smile:
    From your link …
    "once the Storage Phase has finished, the Current, iL, that flows through it is stable, iL = V / R, no Self Induced e.m.f. is produced and vL is zero. The Inductor acts like an ordinary connecting wire, its Resistance is zero."​
    … iL only = V/R when steady-state has been reached

until then, the total voltage = the voltage drop across the resistor (IR) plus the "induced" LdI/dt across the inductor.

It's the same I across both, for the same reason you have the same current through a water pipe that goes through various attachments …

water in = water out, and electric current in = electric current out. :wink:

8. Oct 1, 2013 #7
    In that case, how do I calculate the induced current at any time-step using a changing voltage input?

The equation you specified doesn't appear to calculate the induced current, which is what I'm after?

9. Oct 1, 2013 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

the current I is the current through the inductor

it's "induced voltage" (LdI/dt) across an inductor, not "induced current"

(eg if you look up "induced current" in wikipedia, you'll be redirected to a page which doesn't mention "induced current")

an inductor is a voltage source (emf source), not a current source :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook