Calculating current through an IR circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an RL circuit with a changing voltage input. The equation IL = (Vsource/R) * (1-e-t*(R/L)) is used to calculate the current through the inductor if there is a constant voltage source. However, it is noted that this equation assumes starting at 0 and may not be accurate for a changing voltage. The conversation then delves into the use of the integrating factor to simplify the left-hand side of the equation and the concept of induced voltage rather than current in an inductor. The conversation concludes that the current through the inductor is the same as the total current in the circuit, and the equation IL = (Vsource/R) * (e-t*(R
LADransfield
Hi, if I have a DC indoctor-resistor circuit with and inductance (L) of 700μH and a resistance (R) of 0.8Ω, I realize that I can use:

IL = (Vsource/R) * (1-e-t*(R/L))

to calculate the current through the inductor if I have a constant voltage source, but would it be possible to calculate how the current build (and also decay) might look in this or a similar method if my source voltage looked more like:

http://www.dransfield.talktalk.net/VoltageTrace.jpg

So far I can't work out how to make this work with a changing voltage, as the equation appears to assume that you always start at 0

Also, on the decay side, the equation:

IL = (Vsource/R) * (e-t*(R/L))

Seems to assume that you always start at current I=V/R, which is not always necessarily true

I hope I've explained myself well enough, and thanks for any help in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi LADransfield! Welcome to PF! :smile:

LdI/dt + RI = V(t)

so use an integrating factor to simplify the LHS into a single integral, and then use area-under-a-graph :wink:

(btw, it's not called an IR circuit, it's an RL circuit)

Ah, thanks very much, I know it was something similar, but got the wrong letter!

In this case, which "I" would I use in RI? Would this also be the induced current, or just the dI/dt?

LADransfield said:
In this case, which "I" would I use in RI? Would this also be the induced current, or just the dI/dt?

uhh? :confused:

I is I

dI/dt is d/dt of I

(and the current through R is the same as the current through L … where else would it go?)

I was under the impression (from here and a few other places) that the total current was I = V/R , but there were different amounts in the inductor and resistor as the current has to build over time in the inductor (iL), but the current in the resistor (iR) was I-iL

I am expecting the current to rise sharply due to the high voltage, then remain a little more constant through the lower (hold) voltage

Simulation and testing shows that this happens, though creating a more one-dimensional approach is proving a little more tricky

Hi LADransfield! :smile:
LADransfield said:
I was under the impression (from here and a few other places) that the total current was I = V/R , but there were different amounts in the inductor and resistor as the current has to build over time in the inductor (iL), but the current in the resistor (iR) was I-iL

From your link …
"once the Storage Phase has finished, the Current, iL, that flows through it is stable, iL = V / R, no Self Induced e.m.f. is produced and vL is zero. The Inductor acts like an ordinary connecting wire, its Resistance is zero."​
… iL only = V/R when steady-state has been reached

until then, the total voltage = the voltage drop across the resistor (IR) plus the "induced" LdI/dt across the inductor.

It's the same I across both, for the same reason you have the same current through a water pipe that goes through various attachments …

water in = water out, and electric current in = electric current out. :wink:

In that case, how do I calculate the induced current at any time-step using a changing voltage input?

The equation you specified doesn't appear to calculate the induced current, which is what I'm after?

LADransfield said:
In that case, how do I calculate the induced current …

the current I is the current through the inductor

it's "induced voltage" (LdI/dt) across an inductor, not "induced current"

(eg if you look up "induced current" in wikipedia, you'll be redirected to a page which doesn't mention "induced current")

an inductor is a voltage source (emf source), not a current source :wink:

Related to Calculating current through an IR circuit

What is an IR circuit?

An IR (infrared) circuit is a type of electrical circuit that utilizes infrared light to transmit signals or data. It is commonly used in wireless communication devices, remote controls, and security systems.

How do you calculate current in an IR circuit?

The current in an IR circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). This can be represented by the equation I = V/R. Additionally, the current can also be calculated by measuring the voltage across a known resistance using a multimeter.

What factors can affect the current in an IR circuit?

The current in an IR circuit can be affected by several factors, including the voltage applied, the resistance of the circuit, and the quality of the components used. Additionally, environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact the current in the circuit.

Why is it important to calculate the current in an IR circuit?

Calculating the current in an IR circuit is important for several reasons. It helps to ensure that the circuit is functioning properly and can help identify any potential issues or malfunctions. It also allows for the proper selection of components and can help in troubleshooting and repairing the circuit if necessary.

Can the current in an IR circuit be controlled?

Yes, the current in an IR circuit can be controlled by adjusting the voltage or resistance in the circuit. This can be done by using resistors or voltage regulators. Additionally, the use of transistors and other electronic components can also help to control the current in an IR circuit.