Calculating Curve Integral: \int_{\gamma}(x^2+xy)dx+(y^2-xy)dy

In summary, the problem requires calculating a curve integral using the formula \int_{\gamma} P(x,y)dx+Q(x,y)dy= \int^{\beta}_{\alpha}(P(g(t),h(t))g'(t)+Q(g(t),h(t))h'(t))dt, where x=g(t) and y=h(t). The line \gamma is split into two segments, (0,0) to (2,0) and (2,0) to (2,2). The parametric equations for these segments are (x,y)=(t,0) and (x,y)=(0,t), respectively. The final answer, after correctly applying the formula, is 4/3.
Hannisch

Homework Statement

Calculate the curve integral

[tex]\int_{\gamma}(x^2+xy)dx+(y^2-xy)dy[/tex]

where [tex]\gamma[/tex] is the line segments from (0,0) to (2,0) and from (2,0) to (2,2).

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_{\gamma} P(x,y)dx+Q(x,y)dy= \int^{\beta}_{\alpha}(P(g(t),h(t))g'(t)+Q(g(t),h(t))h'(t))dt[/tex]

where

x=g(t)
y=h(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by splitting the line up in two parts,

[tex]\gamma _{1}[/tex] = the segment from (0,0) to (2,0)
[tex]\gamma _{2}[/tex] = the segment from (2,0) to (2,2)

I then stated that for the first segment, the parametric equation would be

(x,y)=(t,0) and [tex]0 \leq t \leq 2[/tex]

and for the other segment:

(x,y)=(0,t) and [tex]0 \leq t \leq 2[/tex]

Both of these segments are in the positive direction, so

[tex]\int _{\gamma}(x^2+xy)dx+(y^2-xy)dy = \int _{\gamma_{1}}(x^2+xy)dx+(y^2-xy)dy + \int _{\gamma{2}}(x^2+xy)dx+(y^2-xy)dy = \int^{2}_{0} t^2 dt + \int^{2}_{0} t^2 dt = 16/3[/tex]

But this is incorrect and I haven't the faintest idea where and why I went wrong. It's driving me crazy (it should be such a simple problem) but I can't figure it out. I thought this was what the did in the book, but alas.. According to the book the answer is 4/3.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, never mind, I realized my mistake. I'd stared myself blind in my tiredness x)

What is a curve integral?

A curve integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve in a two-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function along a specific path, or curve, in the given space.

How do you calculate a curve integral?

To calculate a curve integral, you need to have a function in two variables and a path along which the integral will be evaluated. The integral is calculated by breaking down the path into small segments and approximating the area under the curve using the Riemann sum. This sum is then taken to the limit as the segment size approaches zero, resulting in the exact value of the curve integral.

What is the difference between a line integral and a curve integral?

A line integral is a special case of a curve integral where the path of integration is a straight line. In a curve integral, the path can be any curve in the given space. Additionally, line integrals are used to calculate work done by a force along a line, while curve integrals are used to calculate areas under a curve.

How do you choose the path of integration in a curve integral?

The path of integration in a curve integral is typically specified in the problem or can be chosen based on the geometry of the given space. Some common paths include straight lines, circles, and parabolas. It is important to choose a path that is easy to integrate and represents the area under the curve accurately.

Can a curve integral be negative?

Yes, a curve integral can be negative. The sign of a curve integral depends on the orientation of the path of integration. If the path is traversed in the opposite direction, the integral will have a negative value. This is because the area under the curve will be subtracted instead of added.