Calculating Deformation Energy for Brass Form Tests

In summary, to validate the deformation energy calculated by the machine, you need to calculate the time needed for the test and then compare the theoretical value with the machine's calculation. If they are close, then the machine's calculation can be considered accurate.
zoor
Hi!

I'm working in a laboratory and been assigned to the task of verifying on of our machines calculations.

The machine calculates the deformationenergy needed to test a sample that's been moulded in a brass form. Its this value I need to validate.

The information I have at this point is:

- The speed, which is constant during the test. The speed is 50mm/min.
- the force needed in every single point of the test. The force I have in Newton.
- The time needed to complete the test (easy since the speed is constant)
- The moulds volume.

I've printed out a graph of all the facts to see the actuall graph on paper. The value that the computer prints out is in j/cm2 based on cross sectional of 1cm2.

Have I missed something? Do I have all the facts I need? And how do I implement all these values so that I can get answere I desire?

Very thankfull for advice.

Best regards from Sweden

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! It sounds like you have all the necessary information to validate the deformation energy calculated by the machine. The three main factors that contribute to deformation energy are force, speed, and time. Since you have the force and speed values, the only thing left to determine is the time needed for the test. As you mentioned, this should be easy to calculate since the speed is constant. Simply divide the volume by the speed to get the time needed for the test.

To validate the machine's calculation, you can compare the result with the theoretical calculation for deformation energy. The formula for deformation energy is E = F*d, where E is energy, F is force, and d is displacement. In your case, you can use the average force and the distance traveled (which can be calculated from the speed and time) to get the deformation energy.

Once you have the theoretical value, you can compare it with the value calculated by the machine. If they are close, then you can have confidence in the machine's calculation. However, if there is a significant difference, it may be worth investigating further to determine if there are any errors in the machine's calculations or if there were any external factors that may have affected the test.

I hope this helps and good luck with your verification process!

Related to Calculating Deformation Energy for Brass Form Tests

1. What is deformation energy?

Deformation energy refers to the energy required to permanently change the shape or size of an object, typically through the application of force.

2. How is deformation energy calculated?

The calculation of deformation energy involves determining the amount of force applied to an object and the distance it is deformed. The formula for deformation energy is E = F*d, where E is the deformation energy, F is the force applied, and d is the distance the object is deformed.

3. Why is deformation energy important in brass form tests?

In brass form tests, deformation energy is important because it helps determine the strength and ductility of the brass material. By measuring the amount of energy required to deform the brass, we can understand how resistant it is to shape changes and how much force it can withstand before breaking.

4. What factors can affect the calculation of deformation energy in brass form tests?

The main factors that can affect the calculation of deformation energy in brass form tests include the type of brass being tested, the temperature and pressure at which the test is conducted, and the accuracy of measuring the force and distance involved in the deformation.

5. Is there a specific unit for measuring deformation energy?

Deformation energy can be measured in different units, depending on the system of measurement being used. In the metric system, it is typically measured in joules (J), while in the imperial system, it is measured in foot-pounds (ft-lb) or inch-pounds (in-lb).