1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Displacement with Friction and Air Resistance

1. Dec 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A car is rolling down a hill, it has a velocity of 54.22m/sec at the bottom of the hill. When it reaches the bottom of the hill, a fan begins to blow on it causing a drag force of 250N. Also, the tires create a friction coefficient of .1. The car eventually stops due to the Drag Force/Friction. Calculate how far the car will travel before stopping.

I can't figure out how to take into account the drag force. I know that before taking drag force into account, the car can travel 27.66m. I'm not sure if that helps or not. All I need to know is what formula to use and where I implement the drag force! Also, my homework is due TOMORROW AT 3PM EST. Any help before then will be awesome.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2012 #2
    How did you come to the 27.66 m? show your calcs without the drag force and I'll help with implementing the drag force...

4. Dec 13, 2012 #3
    First, I calculated for the Kinetic Energy which would be 1/2mv^2. 1/2(1700kg)(54.22m/sec) = 46,087J. Next, I calculated the impact friction would have: f=u(coeficcient of friction)F .1(1700)(9.8) = 1,666N. Then I calculted the work that would be done: Work = F(displacement) 46087J = 1,666N(displacement) then I divided 46087 by 1666 and came with 27.66M. If this is incorrect, could you tell me how to do it please? Thanks!

5. Dec 13, 2012 #4
    I think if I tell you that you would realise how easy it is. So you have an object working to the right with kinetic energy = 0.5*mv^2 your answer here is incorrect, do the calculation again... Now what is the total forces working against the vehicle? friction and drag, draw a FBD for your vehicle... Your methodology is good and accurate just combine everything now... The total force on the car is not just friction?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook