Calculating Displacement with Friction and Air Resistance

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the distance a car will travel before stopping when a fan begins to blow on it, causing a drag force and friction from the tires. The person requesting help has already calculated the distance without taking the drag force into account and is asking for assistance in incorporating it into the calculation. They have provided their calculations so far and are looking for guidance on how to accurately include the drag force.
ImAlwaysConfu

Homework Statement

A car is rolling down a hill, it has a velocity of 54.22m/sec at the bottom of the hill. When it reaches the bottom of the hill, a fan begins to blow on it causing a drag force of 250N. Also, the tires create a friction coefficient of .1. The car eventually stops due to the Drag Force/Friction. Calculate how far the car will travel before stopping.

I can't figure out how to take into account the drag force. I know that before taking drag force into account, the car can travel 27.66m. I'm not sure if that helps or not. All I need to know is what formula to use and where I implement the drag force! Also, my homework is due TOMORROW AT 3PM EST. Any help before then will be awesome.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you come to the 27.66 m? show your calcs without the drag force and I'll help with implementing the drag force...

First, I calculated for the Kinetic Energy which would be 1/2mv^2. 1/2(1700kg)(54.22m/sec) = 46,087J. Next, I calculated the impact friction would have: f=u(coeficcient of friction)F .1(1700)(9.8) = 1,666N. Then I calculted the work that would be done: Work = F(displacement) 46087J = 1,666N(displacement) then I divided 46087 by 1666 and came with 27.66M. If this is incorrect, could you tell me how to do it please? Thanks!

I think if I tell you that you would realize how easy it is. So you have an object working to the right with kinetic energy = 0.5*mv^2 your answer here is incorrect, do the calculation again... Now what is the total forces working against the vehicle? friction and drag, draw a FBD for your vehicle... Your methodology is good and accurate just combine everything now... The total force on the car is not just friction?

To calculate the displacement of the car with friction and air resistance, we can use the following formula:

d = (v^2 - u^2) / 2a

Where:
d = displacement
v = final velocity (in this case, 0 m/sec since the car stops)
u = initial velocity (54.22 m/sec)
a = acceleration (caused by drag force and friction)

To take into account the drag force, we need to calculate the acceleration caused by it. We can use the formula:

a = F / m

Where:
a = acceleration
F = force (250 N)
m = mass of the car

We also need to calculate the acceleration caused by friction, using the formula:

a = μg

Where:
a = acceleration
μ = friction coefficient (0.1)
g = acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2)

Now, we can plug in the values into the first formula to calculate the displacement:

d = (0^2 - 54.22^2) / 2((250/1000) + (0.1*9.8))

d = -2955.42 / 4.9

d = -603.17 m

Therefore, the car will travel approximately 603.17 meters before stopping, taking into account both the drag force and friction. It is important to note that the negative sign in the final displacement indicates that the car will travel in the opposite direction of its initial velocity.

1. How do you calculate displacement with friction and air resistance?

To calculate displacement with friction and air resistance, you will need to use the equations of motion. These include the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration. You will also need to take into account the coefficient of friction and the drag coefficient of the object. By plugging in these variables into the equations, you can determine the displacement of the object.

2. What is the difference between friction and air resistance in calculating displacement?

Friction and air resistance are two different types of forces that act on an object. Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact, while air resistance is a force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. In calculating displacement, friction is typically taken into account for objects moving on a surface, while air resistance is taken into account for objects moving through the air.

3. How does the coefficient of friction affect displacement?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. It is a dimensionless value that ranges from 0 to 1. The higher the coefficient of friction, the greater the force of friction and the more it will affect the displacement of an object. This means that an object with a high coefficient of friction will have a smaller displacement compared to an object with a lower coefficient of friction.

4. Can displacement be calculated for objects with varying air resistance?

Yes, displacement can be calculated for objects with varying air resistance. However, it may be more challenging and require more complex equations to accurately calculate displacement for an object with changing air resistance. In some cases, it may be necessary to make assumptions or approximations in order to calculate displacement for an object with varying air resistance.

5. How can displacement with friction and air resistance be applied in real-world scenarios?

Calculating displacement with friction and air resistance can be useful in a variety of real-world scenarios. For example, it can be used in designing vehicles or equipment that need to overcome friction and air resistance in order to move efficiently. It can also be used in sports to analyze the performance of athletes, or in physics experiments to study the effects of these forces on objects. Additionally, understanding displacement with friction and air resistance can also help in predicting the trajectory of projectiles in fields such as ballistics or rocket science.