Calculating Dissipation of Electric Power in a Circuit

In summary, the question asks about the electrical energy dissipated by R4 in a parallel circuit where all resistors have the same value and R1 dissipates 36 W. Using the equations R=V^2/P and P=I^2R, the solution is found by considering the resistance of the parallel circuit and the ratio of power dissipated in R4 to the total power dissipated in the circuit. The correct answer is 16 W.
indojo24

Homework Statement

I want to ask about a question which is related to dissipation of electric power.
Here's a quick picture of my problem:

R1=R2=R3=R4
R1 dissipates an electrical energy of 36 W
Question: What is the electrical energy dissipated by R4?

Please look at the circuit I've attached below.

This is a Junior High physics questions which I don't understand. Thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

R=V2/P
R=(Ωhm)
P=(Watt)
V=(Volt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't made any attempt because it's confusing.
Possible choices:
a. 18 W
b. 16 W
c. 9 W
d. 4 W

Attachments

• Daya.png
    Daya.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 377
Physics news on Phys.org
Another equation that might help is P=I2R. Is there anything in particular that you find confusing?

I suspect it appears confusing because not enough info is provided to calculate currents and voltages. Try thinking of it in terms of ratios.

For example how does the current flowing in R4 compare to that in R2&3?

To CW's point: if the notion of a "current divider" is in your toolbox, now would be a good time to bring it out :-p.

Well, not enough information is confusing, but I did it this way.

First, I consider R1=R2=R3=R4=R

Then, I calculate the resistance of the parallel circuit, that is, R2, R3, and R4.

Rseries=R2+R3=2R

1/Rparallel=(1/Rseries)+(1/R4)
1/Rparallel=(1/2R)+(1/R)
1/Rparallel=(1/2R)+(2/2R)
1/Rparallel=3/2R
Rparallel=2R/3

P1=36 W
Pparallel=2P1/3=24W
Pseries : P4 = 1/2R : 1/R
Pseries : P4 = 1/2 : 1
Pseries : P4 = 1 : 2
Pparallel=Pseries+P4=x + 2x=3x

x=(24/3)W=8W
P4=2x=2(8W)=16 W(answer is b)

Is this correct?

Quite correct.

Related to Calculating Dissipation of Electric Power in a Circuit

1. What is dissipation of electric power?

Dissipation of electric power is the process in which electrical energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat, light, or sound, and is released into the environment. This occurs due to resistance in electrical components, which causes energy to be lost in the form of heat.

2. Why is dissipation of electric power important?

Dissipation of electric power is important because it allows us to control and use electrical energy for various purposes. Without dissipation, electrical energy would continuously build up and potentially cause damage to electrical systems. Additionally, dissipation allows us to convert electrical energy into other useful forms of energy, such as heat for cooking or light for illumination.

3. How does dissipation of electric power affect the efficiency of electrical systems?

The dissipation of electric power decreases the efficiency of electrical systems. This is because a portion of the electrical energy is lost in the form of heat or other forms of energy, rather than being used for its intended purpose. This loss of energy reduces the overall efficiency of the system, as the output energy is less than the input energy.

4. What factors affect the dissipation of electric power?

The main factor that affects the dissipation of electric power is resistance. Higher resistance in electrical components results in a greater amount of energy being lost as heat. Additionally, factors such as temperature, material properties, and circuit design can also impact dissipation.

5. How can we reduce dissipation of electric power?

There are several ways to reduce dissipation of electric power. One way is to use materials with lower resistance, such as copper, in electrical components. Another method is to improve the design of circuits to minimize energy loss. Additionally, regular maintenance and proper use of electrical systems can also help to reduce dissipation and improve efficiency.