1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What happens to the total power dissipated in the circuit ?

1. Apr 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What happens to the total power dissipated in the circuit once the switch is closed?
    tmp_3989-20160409_2113301282769602.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    Pr=Pbat=dEth/dt=(dq/dt)*Vr=I*Vr

3. The attempt at a solution
    V total and I toral remain the same so the power dissipated by the circuit stays the same...?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2016 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Why do you think Itotal remains the same? What is the resistance across the battery with the switch open and with it closed?

4. Apr 9, 2016 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Can you show some equations to back up your guess?

5. Apr 9, 2016 #4
    Well....for the current, it's current conservation. Switch open: I total goes through A, B and C ( they're in series) and then goes back to the battery. Switch closed: I total goes through A then B then splits into let's say I1( through the middle resustless wire) and I2 ( through C) at the upper junction. Then it becomes I total again at the lower junction. I think the closed switch short-circuits C but I am not sure this means I2 is null....As for the voltages, I think the voltage across C has to decrease once the switch is closed ( V=IR, I decreases; V decreases). But the total voltage has to stay the same ( equal to the voltage provided by the battery) so the voltages across A and B have to increase...but that would mean that the current through A and B increases.....?!?

6. Apr 9, 2016 #5

Pr=Pbat=dEth/dt=(dq/dt)*Vr=I*Vr
    I got his from my textbook. We haven't learned it in class yet, so I am confused about it and the textbook does not help..

7. Apr 9, 2016 #6

cnh1995

Homework Helper

What happens to the total resistance of the circuit when the switch is closed?

8. Apr 9, 2016 #7

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Right.

9. Apr 9, 2016 #8
    But how is that possible??? A and B are right after the positive terminal of the battery so no matter the situation they should receive I total...?

10. Apr 9, 2016 #9

cnh1995

Homework Helper

11. Apr 10, 2016 #10

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Of course A and B receive all of Itotal, but Itotal is different when the switch is closed than when it is open.

12. Apr 10, 2016 #11
    l think I see. Itotal=Vtotal*Req. Switch open: Req =3R (the bulbs are identical and in series). Switch closed: Req is smaller than 3R (C is now in parallel with A and B). So I is smaller when the switch is closed. Correct?

Attached Files:

13. Apr 10, 2016 #12

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Yes.
    No. C is eliminated from the circuit. Look up the term "short circuit".
    Are you sure? Equivalent resistance decreased after closing the switch.

14. Apr 10, 2016 #13

cnh1995

Homework Helper

I=V/R and not V*R.

15. Apr 10, 2016 #14
    True! So the current increases.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted