Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measure big biulding resistance with Earth tester

1. Oct 12, 2012 #1
    HI ALL

We have a big building.there is a ring around the building as earthing system.

we put bare cooper wire in trench around building .

NOW,we are going to measure the resistance of earthing system with earth tester. Our device is MI 2124 ,one production of METREL .

how I can measure the resistance of big earthing system? can I use MI 2124 for this purpose?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2012 #2
    Hello Roho -

Been a while since I was in the field - but real meaningful earth testing of commercial / industrial sites is a tricky subject.

There are 2 different things you may be measuring - the Resistance of ANY point within the Ring - to a central point - typically an Earthing Rod - I believe you may need a different instrument - Higher current and lower resistance because you are measuring the installed conductors. (This is a measure of the safety of the people / equipment in the facility relative to the electrical system )

To measure the Resistance of the Ring ( or this central point) to "EARTH" you will need to drive a Test Rod - in the cut sheet it says 30M max - that may work - but I have seen these tests run to a rod over 1000' Away. ( This is a measure of the safety of the Building relative to the utility supply)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook