1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating eigenvalues of G Parity

1. Sep 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find the eigenvalues of the pion triplet under G parity

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]G\mid\psi\rangle = CR_2\mid\psi\rangle[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    OK so visually this problem is pretty simple, rotation about the 2 axis takes a pi+ to a pi- and then charge takes it back to a pi+ (to a sign). The problem is when I actually try to do the calculation, the rotation gives me [itex]\pi^\pm\rightarrow\mp\pi^0 \mathrm{\ and\ }\pi^0\rightarrow\pi^++\pi^-[/itex], which obviously are eigenstates of C but the pions are not eigenstates of G. My rotation matrix is the standard:
    R2 = [(010),(-101),(0-10)] (ignoring the constants).
    It is easy to construct a matrix that gives the desired transformations [(001),(010),(100)], but it would not be traceless and thus isn't a rotation matrix.

I found plenty of resources that just say that the fact that G parity works is obvious (which it is) but none that actually show how to do the calculation. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2012 #2
    nevermind. figured out that i was in fact using the wrong matrix

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook