Calculating eigenvalues of G Parity

In summary, the problem involves finding the eigenvalues of the pion triplet under G parity, which is represented by a rotation matrix and charge operator. The visual representation is simple, but the calculation becomes more complex. The rotation matrix given does not produce the desired transformations, but after realizing the mistake, the correct matrix can be used to find the desired eigenvalues.
rioo

Homework Statement

I need to find the eigenvalues of the pion triplet under G parity

Homework Equations

[tex]G\mid\psi\rangle = CR_2\mid\psi\rangle[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

OK so visually this problem is pretty simple, rotation about the 2 axis takes a pi+ to a pi- and then charge takes it back to a pi+ (to a sign). The problem is when I actually try to do the calculation, the rotation gives me [itex]\pi^\pm\rightarrow\mp\pi^0 \mathrm{\ and\ }\pi^0\rightarrow\pi^++\pi^-[/itex], which obviously are eigenstates of C but the pions are not eigenstates of G. My rotation matrix is the standard:
R2 = [(010),(-101),(0-10)] (ignoring the constants).
It is easy to construct a matrix that gives the desired transformations [(001),(010),(100)], but it would not be traceless and thus isn't a rotation matrix.

I found plenty of resources that just say that the fact that G parity works is obvious (which it is) but none that actually show how to do the calculation. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind. figured out that i was in fact using the wrong matrix

What is G Parity?

G Parity is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to determine the symmetry of a system. It represents the combined effects of charge conjugation (C) and spatial inversion (P) on a wavefunction.

Why is calculating eigenvalues of G Parity important?

Calculating eigenvalues of G Parity allows us to determine the symmetry properties of a quantum system, which can provide valuable information about its physical properties and behavior.

How do you calculate eigenvalues of G Parity?

Eigenvalues of G Parity can be calculated by applying the G Parity operator to a quantum state and solving for the resulting eigenvalue. This involves using the mathematical relationships between the G Parity operator and other operators, such as the Hamiltonian.

What is the significance of the eigenvalues of G Parity?

The eigenvalues of G Parity can tell us whether a system is symmetric or anti-symmetric under the combined operations of charge conjugation and spatial inversion. This can provide insight into the behavior of the system and can be used to classify particles and their interactions.

Are there any challenges in calculating eigenvalues of G Parity?

Yes, there can be challenges in calculating eigenvalues of G Parity, especially for complex quantum systems. This can include difficulties in obtaining accurate measurements and dealing with non-commuting operators. It is important to carefully consider the mathematical relationships between operators and use appropriate techniques for solving the problem.