Calculating Electric Force in a Dipole at Long Distances

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about an electric dipole and the electric force acting on a proton placed at a distance from the dipole. The equation for the force is Fe = 2aekq/y^3, and the conversation discusses different methods for deriving this equation. The final solution involves using the Pythagorean theorem and simplifying for y >> a.
cathb
Hi,
I had this question in my homework:

An electric dipole consists of two equal loads and signs opposite separated by one distance which equals 2a. Show how the module of the electric force resulting on a proton (load +e) placed directly on the Y=axis at a very long distance from the dipole (y>>a) is given by Fe = 2aekq/y^3

The usual equation for the electric force is: Fe= keq/r^2

I tried to replace the distance r^2 with Pythagore: a^2 + y^2 = r^2, but i didnt find the y^3
Could anybody help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the dipole oriented along the x-axis or the y-axis?

Assuming the dipole is oriented along the x-axis, place charge q at x=a/2 and charge ‒q at x = ‒a/2. Find the vector sum of the force each charge in the dipole exerts on the proton. (The y-components of the two forces should cancel, leaving only the x-components.)

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I actually have the same homework and I'm having trouble with the same question.

Here is the image of the dipole in question. My issue is how do we actually demonstrate that the module of the electric force resulting on a proton (load +e) placed directly on the Y=axis at a very long distance from the dipole (y>>a) is given by Fe = 2aekq/y^3 (i think I'm just not getting it at all... sorry :S)

SammyS said:

Assuming the dipole is oriented along the x-axis, place charge q at x=a/2 and charge ‒q at x = ‒a/2. Find the vector sum of the force each charge in the dipole exerts on the proton. (The y-components of the two forces should cancel, leaving only the x-components.)

Attachments

• Image1.png
    Image1.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:
SammyS said:

I didn't read closely enough.

Place charge ‒q at x=a and charge +q at x = ‒a, as in the figure.

The force, F, on the proton, due to charge ‒q is: F= ____ ? (It's a vector.)

The force, F+, on the proton, due to charge +q is: F+= ____ ? (It's also a vector.)

Thank you for your help,

in brief, i only found the vector on the x-axis (cuz as you said the y-component should be canceled) and replaced the sin by tan (because of the very long distance of the y-component of the proton, which was nearly equal to the distance between the proton and one of the chage q). So the tan would be replaced by a/y.

cathb said:
Thank you for your help,

in brief, i only found the vector on the x-axis (cuz as you said the y-component should be canceled) and replaced the sin by tan (because of the very long distance of the y-component of the proton, which was nearly equal to the distance between the proton and one of the charge q). So the tan would be replaced by a/y.

If r2 = a2 + y2, then for y » a, r2 ≈ y2.

That should get you your desired result.

Thanks a lot

You're very welcome.

Related to Calculating Electric Force in a Dipole at Long Distances

1. What is an electric dipole?

An electric dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges separated by a small distance. It can be thought of as a tiny magnet with a positive and negative pole.

2. How does the electric dipole create an electric force?

The electric dipole creates an electric force due to the interaction between its two charges. The positive and negative charges exert forces on each other, resulting in a net force that is directed from the positive charge to the negative charge.

3. What is the formula for calculating the electric force in a dipole?

The formula for calculating the electric force in a dipole is F = 2kq/r3, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb constant, q is the magnitude of the charges, and r is the distance between the charges.

4. How does the distance between the charges affect the electric force in a dipole?

The electric force in a dipole is inversely proportional to the cube of the distance between the charges. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.

5. What are some real-life examples of electric dipoles?

Some common examples of electric dipoles include water molecules, which have a positive charge on one end and a negative charge on the other, and radio antennas, which have a positive charge at the top and a negative charge at the bottom.