Calculating Electric Motor Requirements for Golf Buggy

• Thread starter bertie991
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Golf Motor
In summary: Both have their advantages and disadvantages. The first method is more scientific but requires more input. The second method is easier to use but may not be as accurate.
bertie991
I am designing a golf buggy with an electric motor drive. How do i determine what torque and power output i need from my motor if i know the weight of the buggy, my desired acceleration and the gradients i wish it to go up. Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.
If possible please use metric formula

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
bertie991 said:
I am designing a golf buggy with an electric motor drive. How do i determine what torque and power output i need from my motor if i know the weight of the buggy, my desired acceleration and the gradients i wish it to go up. Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.
If possible please use metric formula

Cheers

Welcome to the PF. What are typical power outputs of existing golf carts? I would start with the specs of existing units, and then try to see if they match my calculations...

Thanks berkeman.

I have got specs for existing units however this task is part of a project and i have to show my calculations, however i have no idea of where to start.

bertie991 said:
Thanks berkeman.

I have got specs for existing units however this task is part of a project and i have to show my calculations, however i have no idea of where to start.

Are you familiar with the formula for calculating the gravitational potential energy (PE) of an object, based on its mass and the change in height?

And are you aware of the equation relating power to energy and time?

Those two equations will get you started in calculating the power required to drive up an incline in some amount of time. However, since the golfcart has soft tires and is moving across soft ground, quite a bit of power will also go into that rolling resistance...

Assume direct drive; diameter of the wheel will tell you the torque you need. If not direct drive divide wheel torque by gear ratio.

HP is tricker: on the level you'll have to determine (assume?) the drag (rolling friction + aerodynamic). For uphill add hp required to lift weight at vertical speed required (do the trig).

Last edited:
There are two approaches to solving this problem.

The first uses a power method. It assumes very little about the buggy, it's basically tells you how powerful a motor you need to move the buggy from A to B in a set time. You define where it has to move and how fast it has to do it. From that you can specify gearing and wheel sizes to suit. This is the method Berkeman is talking about.

The second uses torque. You have to know some things about the cart to use this method. Wheel size, gearing (if any) weight and passengers. What you do is assume the worst case. For a golf buggy you don't really care about acceleration, so that's irrelevant it's also geared to a fast walking speed ususally.

The worst case for a golf buggy is hauling two/four people + cllubs up a hill. You torque requirements are to make the maximum weight of the vehichle go up the maximum gradient.

This method can be boiled down to a block on a slope equation, finding a force at the wheel contact patch. Which can then be turned into a wheel torque, which can then be urned into a motor torque.

I suppose the first method is a little more scientific, but I'd probably use the second method, and play with the inputs till I got a number I liked.

Related to Calculating Electric Motor Requirements for Golf Buggy

1. How do I determine the power requirements for my golf buggy's electric motor?

To determine the power requirements for your golf buggy's electric motor, you will need to consider several factors such as the weight of the buggy, the terrain it will be used on, and the desired speed. You can use a formula that takes into account the weight of the buggy, the maximum slope of the terrain, and the desired speed to calculate the required power in watts.

2. What type of electric motor is best for a golf buggy?

The best type of electric motor for a golf buggy is a direct current (DC) motor. These motors are efficient, compact, and have a wide range of speed control. They also have a high torque, which is important for powering the buggy up hills and through rough terrain.

3. Is it better to have a higher voltage or higher current for the electric motor?

In general, it is better to have a higher voltage for your golf buggy's electric motor. This is because higher voltage means lower current, which leads to less heat generation and less energy loss. However, the overall power output of the motor will also depend on the motor's design and efficiency.

4. Can I use a standard car battery to power my golf buggy's electric motor?

No, it is not recommended to use a standard car battery to power your golf buggy's electric motor. These batteries are designed for short bursts of high power, not continuous use. It is better to use a deep cycle battery specifically designed for electric vehicles, which can provide consistent power over a longer period of time.

5. How can I extend the battery life of my golf buggy's electric motor?

To extend the battery life of your golf buggy's electric motor, you can implement energy-saving practices such as maintaining proper tire pressure, avoiding excessive weight on the buggy, and driving on flat terrain when possible. You can also invest in a high-quality battery charger and follow proper charging and maintenance procedures. Additionally, consider upgrading to a more efficient motor or using regenerative braking technology to recharge the battery while driving.