Calculating Electromotive Force in a Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the emf and voltage in a circuit with a battery, current of 3.0A, and internal resistance of 0.039Ω. The equations V = ε - IR and ε = V + IR are used to determine the emf, which is found to be 135.117V. The concept of current is also clarified in the conversation.
joel amos

Homework Statement

A battery has a current of 3.0A flow through it. It has an internal resistance of 0.039Ω and the circuit has a load of 45Ω.
a) What is the emf?
b) What is the voltage that flows?

Homework Equations

V = ε - IR

The Attempt at a Solution

ε = V + IR
ε = (45Ω)(3A) + (3A)(0.039Ω)
ε = 135V + 0.117V

a) 135.117V
b) 135V

I'm new to emf. Does this look correct? If not, can you explain where I went awry?

Physics news on Phys.org
They asked what is the voltage that flows? Are you sure it wasn't current?

Not positive, but pretty sure.

I would check that. The voltage in a circuit doesn't "flow". The purpose of a battery is to keep the potential difference across two points in a circuit at a specific potential difference.

Is part "a" correct? And doesn't current remain constant?

Your answer looks good for part a. The current is the same everywhere in a series branch in a circuit. However, current refers to a collection of charges passing through a unit area in time t. Hence, it is often said to "flow".

Related to Calculating Electromotive Force in a Circuit

1. What is electromotive force (EMF)?

Electromotive force, also known as EMF, is a measure of the energy that is generated by a source, such as a battery or generator, that drives an electric current through a circuit.

2. How is electromotive force measured?

Electromotive force is typically measured in units of volts (V) using a voltmeter. This instrument measures the potential difference between two points in a circuit, which is essentially the force that is driving the flow of electrons.

3. What factors affect the value of electromotive force?

The value of electromotive force can be affected by factors such as the type of material used to create the source (e.g. a battery), the temperature, and the resistance of the circuit.

4. How is electromotive force related to potential difference?

EMF and potential difference are closely related, as they both measure the force that drives the flow of electrons in a circuit. However, EMF is the total energy generated by the source, while potential difference is the difference in energy between two points in the circuit.

5. What is the formula for calculating electromotive force?

The formula for calculating electromotive force is EMF = I × R, where I is the current flowing through the circuit and R is the total resistance of the circuit. This formula is known as Ohm's law and is used to determine the force that is driving the flow of electrons in a circuit.