Calculating Energy Stored in a Capacitor with Varying Gap

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the capacitance and stored energy of a capacitor that has been charged by a voltage source and has an initial air gap of 7 mm. The conversation also addresses the decrease in capacitance when the air gap is increased to 10 mm and provides steps for calculating the stored energy using the formula U=(1/2)Q2/C. The conversation concludes by mentioning the importance of considering the change in voltage when the battery is disconnected.
sabak22

Homework Statement

A capacitor is completely charged with 670 nC by a voltage source that had 200 V.
What is its capacitance?==== 3.35×10-9 F 9(I got this y doing Q/V)

The initial air gap of the capacitor above was 7 mm. What is the stored energy if the air gap is now 10 mm?

Now this is the part with which I am stuck

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that Energy = (1/2)CV^2 or QV/2, as well as Q^2/2C
But the problem is, I don't know what steps should be done before i reach the last step for calculating the energy stored. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds to me like you have to figure out how capacitance depends on the air gap, use this information to compute the new capacitance, and use the result of that to compute the stored energy.

yup I know, as distance increases Capacitance decreases. so in this case my capacitance will decrease because gap is now 10mm.

sabak22 said:
yup I know, as distance increases Capacitance decreases. so in this case my capacitance will decrease because gap is now 10mm.

Yeah, but you need to actually compute by how much it decreases, so that you know the new capacitance value.

umm, would it make sense if my new capacitance was now 2.345*10^-9 F?

sabak22 said:
umm, would it make sense if my new capacitance was now 2.345*10^-9 F?

Sure. But it would make even more sense if you showed how you arrived there :smile:

Moving on, the question is vague about whether or not the battery remains connected while the plates of the capacitor are adjusted. Are there more details in the question statement that we haven't seen?

Yes gneill there is more stuff to it but i thought it wouldn't be important, but i guess it is:

b)Now the plates of the charged capacitor are pulled apart with the voltage source already disconnected. - The energy stored in the capacitor: Increases.

an then in c theyre asking for teh new capacitance, but whne i entered 2.345*10^-9 F? it says incorrect :(

Your new capacitance looks okay. Perhaps they're complaining about the significant figures?

wait gneill, its not the capacitance theyre asking me to enter theyre asking me to enter the energy stored after the gap has changed! I tried applying U=(1/2)CV^2 Which gives me 4.96*10^-5 J. But its still incorrect. what am i doing wrong? seems right to me

sabak22 said:
wait gneill, its not the capacitance theyre asking me to enter theyre asking me to enter the energy stored after the gap has changed! I tried applying U=(1/2)CV^2 Which gives me 4.96*10^-5 J. But its still incorrect. what am i doing wrong? seems right to me

:confused: You said that part c was asking for the new capacitance.

If they're asking for the energy then you need to realize that if the voltage source is no longer connected when the plates are moved, then the voltage across the capacitor will change. What remains the same is the charge (it can't go anywhere if the capacitor is isolated!).

Use you new capacitance value and the known charge to find the energy stored.

Yay I got it, so i did U=(1/2)Q/C^2 which gave me = 9.57*10^-5

Thank you very much gneill. just one quick question though, how will I know what the new voltage across the capacitor is after the battery has been disconnected? Just for my own knowledge.

I think you meant (1/2)Q2/C. :smile:

With the charge and the new capacitance value you can find the voltage. V = Q/C.

1. What is a capacitor and how does it work?

A capacitor is an electrical component that stores energy in an electric field. It consists of two conducting plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric. When a voltage is applied across the plates, it causes an electric charge to build up on each plate, creating an electric field between them. This stored energy can be released when the capacitor is connected to a circuit.

2. What is the purpose of varying the gap in a capacitor?

Varying the gap in a capacitor changes the distance between the two plates and therefore affects the capacitance, or the ability to store electric charge. By changing the capacitance, the capacitor can be used for different purposes in a circuit, such as filtering signals or storing energy.

3. How does the dielectric material affect the performance of a capacitor?

The dielectric material plays a crucial role in the performance of a capacitor. It determines the amount of charge that can be stored, the voltage rating of the capacitor, and its temperature stability. Different dielectric materials have different properties, such as higher or lower capacitance or better insulation, which make them suitable for specific applications.

4. Can the gap in a capacitor be adjusted after it is manufactured?

In some cases, yes. Variable capacitors allow for the adjustment of the gap between the plates, usually by using a screw or knob. These capacitors are commonly used in tuning circuits where the capacitance needs to be adjusted for different frequencies. However, most capacitors have a fixed gap and cannot be adjusted once they are manufactured.

5. What are some common uses for capacitors with varying gaps?

Capacitors with varying gaps have a wide range of applications. They are commonly used in electronic circuits for energy storage, filtering, and decoupling. They are also used in radio frequency (RF) circuits for tuning and impedance matching. In addition, capacitors with varying gaps are used in power supplies, motor starters, and electronic devices such as cameras and flash units.