Calculating final pressure and temperature of cylinder

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 5K views
mh1985
Messages
26
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Using a value of n of 1.1, calculate the final pressure and temperature when the cylinder is compressed rapidly with a compression ratio of 15.

Starting pressure = 101.325 kPa
Starting temp = 298 K

Homework Equations



(V2/V1) = 15

The Attempt at a Solution



Not sure about this part
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Rapid compression would mean that the compression is adiabatic. So you also know what other equation?

The compression ratio would be P2/P1=15 and you know what P1 is.

Using the above equation you found and the ideal gas equation, can you form an equation involving only P and T?
 
rock.freak667 said:
Rapid compression would mean that the compression is adiabatic. So you also know what other equation?

The compression ratio would be P2/P1=15 and you know what P1 is.

Using the above equation you found and the ideal gas equation, can you form an equation involving only P and T?

Thanks for the reply,

So I multiply both sides of P2/P1=15 by P1 to get P2,

101325 * 15 = P2 = 1519875 Pa

Not sure how to form the equation involving only P & T...

Something like T2/T1 = (P2/P1)^((n-1)/n)

EDIT:

so (P2/P1)^((n-1)/n) = 15^(1.1 - 1)/1.1 = 1.2791

1.2791 = T2/T1

T1*1.2791 = T2 = 381.171 K

Not sure if this is right?
 
Last edited:
mh1985 said:
Thanks for the reply,

So I multiply both sides of P2/P1=15 by P1 to get P2,

101325 * 15 = P2 = 1519875 Pa

Not sure how to form the equation involving only P & T...

Something like T2/T1 = (P2/P1)^((n-1)/n)

EDIT:

so (P2/P1)^((n-1)/n) = 15^(1.1 - 1)/1.1 = 1.2791

1.2791 = T2/T1

T1*1.2791 = T2 = 381.171 K

Not sure if this is right?

Well you'd have P1Vn1=P2V22 and P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2


Take the last equation, make V1 the subject and substitute it into the first,the V2 should at least cancel out if I remember correctly.
 
rock.freak667 said:
Well you'd have P1Vn1=P2V22 and P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2


Take the last equation, make V1 the subject and substitute it into the first,the V2 should at least cancel out if I remember correctly.

Hi thanks for the reply

If I make V1 the subject, I get P2V2T1 /P1T2, right so far? :S

But I don't see how to substitute it into the first equation?

P1 * (P2V2T1 /P1T2) = P2V2^2
 
mh1985 said:
Hi thanks for the reply

If I make V1 the subject, I get P2V2T1 /P1T2, right so far? :S

But I don't see how to substitute it into the first equation?

P1 * (P2V2T1 /P1T2) = P2V2^2

Sorry, I meant your equation to sub into should be

P1V1n=P2V2n

Just sub your first equation and the volume should cancel out.
 
rock.freak667 said:
Sorry, I meant your equation to sub into should be

P1V1n=P2V2n

Just sub your first equation and the volume should cancel out.


So I have:

P1* (P2T1/P1T2)n= V2 ?
 
mh1985 said:
So I have:

P1* (P2T1/P1T2)n= V2 ?

You have

[tex]V_1= \frac{P_2 V_2 T_1}{T_2 P_1}[/tex]

and

[tex]P_1V_1^n = P_2V_2^n[/tex]

so that

[tex]P_1 \left( \frac{P_2 V_2 T_1}{T_2 P_1} \right)^n = P_2V_2^n[/tex]

You can see that V2n is common to both sides and it will cancel out leaving you with only pressure and temperature variables. Thus you can easily get T2 with some simple algebra.