Calculating float line for a cone shaped vessel

In summary, the question is about calculating the float line on a conical shaped vessel in water using the equation D = weight of the vessel/(density of water X area of base of vessel). The correct depth of immersion is calculated to be 0.03m and it is advised to double check calculations and use the correct units. The equation used is Archimedes' principle, which states that the upward buoyant force on an object immersed in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.
yamacui
Hello all,

I'm trying to calculate the float line on a conical shaped vessel in water. The properties of the vessel are:

Weight - 10kg
Area of base of vessel - 0.311m2

I am using an equation I came across here:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080317200108AA5yNzY"

As I understand it:

Depth of vessel in water = weight of the vessel/(density of water X area of base of vessel)

With my figures this equate to:

D = 10/(1000X0.311)
D = 0.03m

Is this correct? This is the first time I have tried to do this sort of calculation and would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. Your calculation looks correct to me. The equation you are using is commonly known as Archimedes' principle, which states that the upward buoyant force on an object immersed in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

In this case, the weight of the vessel is counteracted by the buoyant force of the water, and the depth of immersion is determined by the weight of the vessel and the density of the water.

It is always a good idea to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct units. In this case, the weight of the vessel is given in kilograms, so the density of the water should also be in kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

I hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations!

Hi there,

Yes, your calculation looks correct. The equation you are using is the correct one for calculating the float line on a conical shaped vessel. The only thing I would suggest is to double check the units in your calculation. The density of water is typically given in kg/m3, so you may need to convert the units of your weight and area of base to match (e.g. converting 10kg to 0.01m3). Other than that, your calculation looks good.

As for guidance, I would recommend double checking your units and also making sure that the density of water you are using is accurate for the conditions you are working with. Additionally, it may be helpful to research other equations or methods for calculating the float line on a cone shaped vessel to compare your results.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculation!

1. How do you calculate the float line for a cone shaped vessel?

The float line for a cone shaped vessel can be calculated using the formula L = (π/3)(r^2 + rR + R^2), where L is the length of the float line, r is the radius of the smaller circular base, and R is the radius of the larger circular base.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the float line for a cone shaped vessel?

The float line is an important measurement for determining the amount of liquid that can be stored in a cone shaped vessel. It helps to ensure that the vessel is not overfilled, which can lead to spills or damage.

3. How does the shape of the vessel affect the calculation of the float line?

The shape of the vessel is an important factor in calculating the float line because it determines the surface area of the liquid in the vessel. In the case of a cone shaped vessel, the surface area is smaller at the bottom and larger at the top, which is why the formula includes both base radii.

4. Can the float line calculation be used for other shapes of vessels?

The formula for calculating the float line is specifically designed for a cone shaped vessel. However, it can be modified for other shapes by adjusting the formula to include the appropriate dimensions.

5. Are there any limitations to using the float line calculation for a cone shaped vessel?

While the float line calculation is a useful tool for determining the liquid volume in a cone shaped vessel, it may not account for variations in the vessel's shape or any irregularities in the surface area. It is always important to double check the calculations and make adjustments if necessary.