Calculating Flux Through a Circular Ring

In summary, the problem is to find the electrical flux passing through a circular ring with a particle of charge q placed on its axis. Two methods are proposed, one using the definition of electric flux, while the other utilizes the surface area of a spherical cap. Both methods lead to the same result, with the flux being equal to the charge divided by 2 times the electric constant multiplied by the ratio of the distance between the charge and the center of the circle to the square root of the sum of the square of the radius of the circle and the square of the distance. The second method involves finding the surface area of the cap and then using it to compute the flux, while the first method involves directly evaluating the integral of the electric field over the
Tanya Sharma

Homework Statement

A particle having charge q = 8.85 μC is placed on the axis of a circular ring of radius R = 30 cm. Distance of the particle from centre of the ring is a = 40 cm. Calculate electrical flux passing through the ring.

Homework Equations

Flux through a surface = ∫E.ds

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to sketch a figure .

Since the circle is not a closed surface .I tried to make the spherical cap whose base is the given circle . Then I completed that sphere .

Now I think flux through the circle is equal to the flux through the spherical cap .But then what is the flux through the spherical cap ?

Is the ratio of the surface area of the cap to that of the sphere same as the ratio of the flux across these two surfaces ?

I would appreciate if somebody could help me with the problem .

Attachments

• circle.PNG
    circle.PNG
    4.1 KB · Views: 1,162
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tanya Sharma said:

Homework Statement

A particle having charge q = 8.85 μC is placed on the axis of a circular ring of radius R = 30 cm. Distance of the particle from centre of the ring is a = 40 cm. Calculate electrical flux passing through the ring.

Homework Equations

Flux through a closed surface = q/ε

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to sketch a figure .

Since the circle is not a closed surface .I tried to make the spherical cap whose base is the given circle . Then I completed that sphere .

Now I think flux through the circle is equal to the flux through the spherical cap .But then what is the flux through the spherical cap ?

Is the ratio of the surface area of the cap to that of the sphere same as the ratio of the flux across these two surfaces ?

I would appreciate if somebody could help me with the problem .

It is possible to solve the problem in your way, using the area of the spherical cap.
For definition of the electric flux, read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_flux

ehild

Sorry..i do not understand what you are trying to convey .

Is there some other way to solve the problem ? All I could think of is what I have written in post#1 .

My understanding of electric flux is simply ∫E.ds for a surface .

Could you reflect more on how to approach this problem ?

You wanted to find the flux across the circle enclosed by the ring by the flux through the cap.
You can determine the flux from its defintion, ∫E.ds directly. You know the electric field on the plane of the ring, both magnitude and the angle it encloses with the normal of the plane.

ehild

But the direction as well as magnitude of Electric field is different for different points on the circular region .It will be same for points equidistant from the center of the circle.

Tanya Sharma said:

Hi Tanya!

You can find flux through a sphere, right? If you select a cap of area A, can you determine the flux through A (in terms of A)? Can you then express A in the given quantities?

Likes 1 person
Tanya Sharma said:
But the direction as well as magnitude of Electric field is different for different points on the circular region .It will be same for points equidistant from the center of the circle.

Both methods are correct. If you know the area of the cap, that method is easier. And yes, the ratio of the fluxes is equal to the ratio of the areas, that is, the surface area of the cap to the surface of the sphere.
If I were you, I solved the problem in both ways, just for fun. :smile:

ehild

Last edited:
Tanya Sharma said:

You need to understand that when you have a closed contour, and two surfaces that are "stretched" onto that contour, the electric flux through the two surfaces is identical if there is no charge between the surfaces. This follows directly from Gauss's law.

That is why the problem talks about flux through the contour without specifying any particular surface. Choose the surface that makes it easiest to compute the flux.

Pranav-Arora said:
Hi Tanya!

You can find flux through a sphere, right? If you select a cap of area A, can you determine the flux through A (in terms of A)? Can you then express A in the given quantities?

Hello Pranav...

Thanks for the input.

I haven't dealt with spherical caps before .

Is the surface area ## A = 2\pi(a^2+d^2)(1-\frac{d}{\sqrt{a^2+d^2}}) ## where 'a is the radius of the circle and 'd' is the distance between the charge 'q' and the center of the circle.

## Flux = \int \vec{E} \cdot \vec{ds} = EA = \frac{q}{2ε_0}(1-\frac{d}{\sqrt{a^2+d^2}}) ##

Does this makes sense ?

Tanya Sharma said:
Hello Pranav...

Thanks for the input.

I haven't dealt with spherical caps before .

Is the surface area ## A = 2\pi(a^2+d^2)(1-\frac{d}{\sqrt{a^2+d^2}}) ## where 'a is the radius of the circle and 'd' is the distance between the charge 'q' and the center of the circle.

## Flux = \int \vec{E} \cdot \vec{ds} = EA = \frac{q}{2ε_0}(1-\frac{d}{\sqrt{a^2+d^2}}) ##

Does this makes sense ?

Yes, it is correct. :)

Likes 1 person

Related to Calculating Flux Through a Circular Ring

1. What is flux through a circular ring?

Flux through a circular ring refers to the amount of a vector field that passes through the surface of a circular ring. It is a measure of the flow of a vector quantity through a specific area.

2. How is flux through a circular ring calculated?

The flux through a circular ring is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field and the normal vector to the surface of the ring, and then integrating this product over the surface area of the ring.

3. What factors affect the flux through a circular ring?

The flux through a circular ring is affected by the strength and direction of the vector field, as well as the size and orientation of the ring. Additionally, the shape and material of the ring may also impact the flux.

4. Is flux through a circular ring a scalar or vector quantity?

Flux through a circular ring is a scalar quantity, meaning it has only magnitude and no direction. This is because it is the result of a dot product, which always yields a scalar value.

5. What are some real-world applications of flux through a circular ring?

Flux through a circular ring has many real-world applications, including in electromagnetics, where it is used to calculate the flow of electric and magnetic fields through conducting rings. It is also relevant in fluid dynamics, where it can be used to measure the flow of fluids through circular pipes or channels.