Calculating force exerted by potential difference (electric field).

In summary, the problem involves calculating the potential difference between the top of a horizontal dielectric slab and a suspended copper sheet, in order for the sheet to hang without support. The slab has a dielectric constant of 5 and a height of 2 cm, while the copper sheet has a height of 0.1 mm and a density of 8.9 g/cm^3. An infinite pillar of air is assumed to be between the slab and the sheet. The equations used are Newton 1, work-energy equation, force equation, and line integral. The steps involve calculating the fields on the various surfaces, then using the line integral to calculate the potential difference, and finally using the gradient to calculate the force.
ParrotPete

Homework Statement

A horizontal dielectric slab, with \epsilon_{r} = 5 and height 2 cm, contains an upper metalic surface. Below the slab a copper sheet is suspended, height 0.1 mm. Use [tex]\rho_{cu}[/tex] = 8.9g/cm^3 Calculate the potential difference between the top of the slab and the sheet necessary for the sheet to hang without support. Assume an infinitedecimal pillar of air between the slab and the sheet.

Homework Equations

Newton 1. [tex]\rho_{Cu}*V_{sheet}*10^{3}+F = 0[/tex].
[tex] W_{e} = \int_{dV} \vec{E} * \vec{D} dV [/tex]
[tex]F = -\nabla W_{E}[/tex]
[tex]U_{top}-U_{sheet} = - \int^{top}_{sheet} \vec{E} d\vec{l}[/tex]
[tex]\int \vec{D} \vec{dS} = Q.[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I on the right track here? I calculate the different fields in the various surfaces. Then I just calculate the potential difference (line integral) and after that I calculate the total electrostatic energy contained in the various fields and after that I just take the gradient to calculate the force from this, and plug it into Newton 1.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a bit hard for me to figure out how to calculate the potential difference from the line integral. I am given \vec{E} and \vec{D}, but it seems that I need to also get \vec{B}. Is this correct?

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is a measure of the difference in electrical potential energy between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How is the force exerted by potential difference calculated?

The force exerted by potential difference can be calculated by multiplying the potential difference (V) by the charge (Q) of the object experiencing the force.

3. Can the force exerted by potential difference be negative?

Yes, the force exerted by potential difference can be negative. This means that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the electric field.

4. What is the unit of measurement for force exerted by potential difference?

The unit of measurement for force exerted by potential difference is newtons (N).

5. How does distance affect the force exerted by potential difference?

The force exerted by potential difference is inversely proportional to the distance between the two points in the electric field. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases and vice versa.