Calculating Force Exerted on a Rope at an Angle

• Thread starter sharon09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
So you're saying the net force is 805 since the tension is 805 N?In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary force and work required to drag a crate across a horizontal floor using a rope at a 32 degree angle. The force needed is 805 N, and the tension force in the rope must have a horizontal component of 805 N. To find the work done, the x-component of the tension force is used, equal to 805 N, resulting in a work of (805 N)(displacement). The net force is the vector sum of the gravitational force and applied force, not just the applied force.
sharon09
Okay a horizontal force of 805 N is needed to drag a crate across a horizontal floor with a constant speed. You drag the crate using a rope held at a 32 degree angle.

What force do you exert on the rope?

After I know how to figure this out I can get the rest of the problem myself. I just forgot how to figure this out.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming you want to continue dragging it at a constant speed. If so, the x-component of the force directed at 32 degrees upwards must be equal to 805 N. Can you figure it out now?

Use trigonometry.
Only a component of the tension force (and hence, the force you apply to the rope) is horizontally aligned.

So then is the x-component 805 and the tension force the y-component?

sharon09 said:
So then is the x-component 805 and the tension force the y-component?
No, your tension force can be written as:
[tex]\vec{T}=T(\cos(32)\vec{i}+\sin(32)\vec{j})[/tex]
The horizontal component is [tex]T\cos(32)[/tex]
which means that the magnitude of the tension force, T, satisfies:
[tex]T=\frac{805}{\cos(32)}[/tex]

Thanks so much.
If I want to figure out how much work was done I add the tension force and 805 for the net force right

I believe the tension is used for creating the 805N force, if this is true then the net force is 805 and the work is displacement * 805 not (805+tension)

sharon09 said:
Thanks so much.
If I want to figure out how much work was done I add the tension force and 805 for the net force right

Careful! Remember that the 805-Newton force is part of the tension force. As you can see in arildno's post, we are finding the value of the tension force directed at 32 degrees from horizontal necessary for its x-component to be equal to 805 N; that 805 N is the part of the tension force that is directed along the horizontal. Therefore, adding the tension to its x-component to find the net force is incorrect.

ponjavic said:
I believe the tension is used for creating the 805N force, if this is true then the net force is 805 and the work is displacement * 805 not (805+tension)

The net force acting on the object would actually be the vector sum of the gravitational force and the applied force (tension), assuming no frictional forces are present.

To find the work done, ponjavic you are correct. Since the displacement is in a horizontal direction, we take only the component of the applied force that has done any work, the x-component. Since we have established that that is 805 N, we find that:
[tex]W=Fd\cos{\theta}=(805 N)d[/tex]
Since the force F in the equation is directed at zero degrees to the horizontal, [itex]\theta=0[/itex], and [itex]\cos{\theta}=1[/itex].

ok thanks so much

Related to Calculating Force Exerted on a Rope at an Angle

1. What is the best approach to solving a physics problem?

The best approach to solving a physics problem is to first carefully read and understand the problem. Then, identify the relevant concepts and equations that can be applied to the problem. Next, organize the given information and solve for the unknown variable using the appropriate equations and units. Finally, double check your work to ensure accuracy.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in physics, practice solving a variety of problems and familiarize yourself with different concepts and equations. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to discuss and work through problems together. Additionally, make sure to fully understand the underlying principles and concepts rather than just memorizing equations.

3. Can you provide tips for approaching complex physics problems?

When dealing with complex physics problems, it is important to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Also, draw diagrams and use visual aids to better understand the problem. It can also be helpful to work backwards from the given information to the unknown variable, and to use multiple equations if necessary.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems include using incorrect units, not fully understanding the problem or concept, and making computational errors. It is also important to be aware of any assumptions being made and to double check your work for accuracy.

5. How can I apply physics concepts to real-life situations?

To apply physics concepts to real-life situations, it is important to first understand the underlying principles and concepts. Then, you can look for ways to apply these concepts to everyday scenarios, such as calculating the speed of a moving car or determining the force needed to lift an object. It can also be helpful to stay updated on new developments and applications of physics in various fields.