1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating force of water coming out

1. May 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The side wall of a wide vertical cylindrical vessel of height , h = 75 cm has a narrow vertical slit running all the way to the bottom of the vessel. The length of slit is l = 50 cm and width b = 0.1 cm. With the slit closed, the vessel is filled with water. What is the resultant force of reaction of the water flowing out of the vessel immediately after the slit is opened?
    Snapshot2.jpg

A. 4.9 N
    B. 0.49 N
    C. 49 N
    D. 490 N
    2. Relevant equations
    P = P0 + ρgh
    F = PA
    g = 9.8 m/s2
    ρ = 103kg/m3
    b = 10-3m
    h = 3/4 m
    l = 1/2 m

3. The attempt at a solution
    Snapshot3.jpg
    The P0 will be cancelled as outside pressure is also P0
    $$ F = \int_0^l bρg(h-l)dl $$

## F = bρg [hl - \frac{l^2}{2} ] ##

⇒ F= 9.8 /4 = 2.45 N

Where is the flaw?
    Why I am getting a wrong answer?

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I get the same answer. Do you know what it is supposed to be?

4. May 19, 2015 #3
    Yes, it is supposed to be 4.9 N.
    They have given solution showing Toricelli law.
    Is this approach wrong?

5. May 19, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Can you post the whole supposed solution?

6. May 19, 2015 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

But... it clearly says "immediately after the slit is opened". It will take time to reach a steady velocity, so I do not see how Torricelli's law can be applied here.

7. May 19, 2015 #6
    So if they would not have written "immediately" would then my answer have been wrong and their's correct?

8. May 19, 2015 #7
    They added the word immediately to let you know that you are to use the starting level of fluid in the tank to calculate the velocity out of the slot. As far as the time required to establish a steady velocity distribution is concerned, they intended you to assume that this happens instantaneously, and can be neglected. The time required would be on the order of the depth divided by the speed of sound. The level in the tank would not change significantly during that time interval.

What they are doing here is a horizontal momentum balance on the fluid. They are finding the force that the tank has to exert on the fluid to accelerate it out of the slot at the indicated velocity. This is equal and opposite to the horizontal force that the fluid exerts on the tank.

Their analysis is correct.

Chet

9. May 19, 2015 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Chet, can you explain what is wrong with the analysis adopted by both Raghav and me? Prior to removal of the strip, the water exerted a force on the strip of 2.45N. The instant the strip is removed, that force is no longer exerted, but all the other forces on the container remain. So the reaction force should be 2.45N.
    To make the Torricelli solution correct, it should have asked for the force when the flow is established but the level has barely fallen.

10. May 19, 2015 #9
    I agree. The problem is poorly posed.

Chet

11. May 19, 2015 #10
    Thanks guys.
    I posted this problem since I was amazed that why my attempt was giving a solution not in options and I tried and tried but still same 2.45 N, but I see the solution which they have given is interpreting something else.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted