Calculating Forces in a Pulling System: Fp, Wp, Wm

In summary, the equation Fp = Fg + Ff is used to calculate the pulling force (Fp) required to move an object up an incline. By plugging in the given values, the pulling force is determined to be 147.30 N, and when multiplied by the distance (d), the work done (Wp) is equal to 662.87 J. However, there is confusion about the value of the normal force (N) and its relationship to the weight of the block. It is necessary to decompose the weight into its components and use the perpendicular component to determine the normal force.
Thea Woods
Homework Statement
A physics student pulls a block of mass m = 21 kg up an incline at a slow constant velocity for a distance of d = 4.5 m. The incline makes an angle Δ = 31° with the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the inclined plane is µk = 0.2. What is the work Wm done by the student?
Wm =
Relevant Equations
W = F*d
K = 1/2 mv^2
U = mgy
E = U + K
Fp = Fg +Ff
Fp = (21*9.81*sin(31)) + (0.2*21*9.81)
Fp = 147.30
Fp*d = 147.3 *4.5
Wp = Wm = 662.87 = 663 J

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Should I subtract the force of friction from the force of gravity? Have I assumed that the pulling force is equal to the sum of gravity and friction when I shouldn't have? Should I use cos instead of sin?

Physics news on Phys.org
The friction force ##F_f## is equal to ##0.2N## where ##N## is the normal force from the incline to the block. What is the correct value of ##N##?? It is not 21*9.81 , because that's the full weight of the block...
Hint: Decompose weight of the block, into a component parallel to the incline and a component perpendicular to the incline. How does the normal force relate to the component perpendicular to the incline?

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is the formula for calculating the pulling force (Fp) in a pulling system?

The formula for calculating the pulling force in a pulling system is Fp = Wp + Wm, where Fp is the pulling force, Wp is the weight of the object being pulled, and Wm is the weight of the pulling mechanism or machine.

2. How do you determine the weight of the object (Wp) in a pulling system?

The weight of the object (Wp) can be determined by using a scale or by multiplying the mass of the object by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

3. What is the weight of the pulling mechanism (Wm) in a pulling system?

The weight of the pulling mechanism (Wm) can be determined by using a scale or by multiplying the mass of the pulling mechanism by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

4. Can the pulling force (Fp) be greater than the combined weight of the object and pulling mechanism?

Yes, the pulling force (Fp) can be greater than the combined weight of the object and pulling mechanism. This is because the pulling force takes into account the force applied by the pulling mechanism, which can be greater than its weight.

5. How can I increase the pulling force (Fp) in a pulling system?

The pulling force (Fp) can be increased by increasing the weight of the pulling mechanism, using a more powerful pulling machine, or by reducing the weight of the object being pulled. Additionally, reducing friction between the pulling mechanism and the ground can also increase the pulling force.