Calculating g force for flywheel

In summary, the conversation is about determining the RPM of a flywheel with an offset shaft that will travel faster than gravity. The approach involves using the formula h=1/2g*t^2 to calculate the time it takes for the offset shaft to fall, and then using angular velocity and RPM formulas to determine the final RPM. The use of pi in the formula is due to simulating a ball dropping at the top of a circle. The final result is that the offset shaft will rotate at 170.2 RPM, with a 2.47 g acceleration.
wakadarc
I need to determine the RPM just that the flywheel (that has an offset shaft) will travel faster than gravity (g force). Meaning my offset shaft will be falling faster than a falling object per se.

So flywheel has a diameter of 0.1524m.

h=1/2g*t^2
t=0.144s (assuming we did 1.5x(9.8m/s) with h=0.1524m)

angular velocity = 3.14/t = 3.14/0.144s = 21.82 rad/s
Therefore the RPM is 208 RPM (1 rad/s = 9.55 RPM)

Is this the right approach? Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
wakadarc said:
h=1/2g*t^2
Where does that formula come from and what does it represent?
wakadarc said:
angular velocity = 3.14/t = 3.14/0.144s
Why pi/t?

It is not the right approach.

There is a simple formula for centrifugal/centripetal forces, you can directly use it.

I am simulating a ball dropping at the top of a circle and the time it takes to reach the bottom, hence using pi. The ball is under the g force.But I've seen this
http://www.calctool.org/CALC/phys/Newtonian/centrifugal

This calculates the centrifugal force but i need the vertical component to be greater than g (downward gravity force)

wakadarc said:
I am simulating a ball dropping at the top of a circle and the time it takes to reach the bottom
Ah, then I misunderstood your first post. I thought you were interested in the instantaneous acceleration.

Okay, then your approach is right.

So the offset shaft will fall (or in reality, rotate about the center) at 1.5gs if I have 208 RPM?

The centrifugal approach from the link I posted has it higher, 600+ RPM

I checked the numbers. With your diameter, I get 0.176 seconds of free-fall time. That corresponds to 17.823/s or 170.2 rpm.

Using those numbers, the tool gives 2.47 g acceleration. That looks reasonable. Don't forget to convert diameter to radius.

1. What is g force and why is it important in flywheel calculations?

G force, also known as gravitational force, is a measurement of the amount of force that is exerted on an object due to gravity. In flywheel calculations, g force is important because it determines the amount of stress and strain that the flywheel experiences during operation, which can affect its performance and durability.

2. How is g force calculated for a flywheel?

G force for a flywheel can be calculated by dividing the angular velocity (in radians per second) squared by the radius of the flywheel in meters. This value is then multiplied by the gravitational constant (9.8 m/s^2) to get the final g force measurement.

3. What factors can affect the g force of a flywheel?

Several factors can affect the g force of a flywheel, including the speed of rotation, the mass and diameter of the flywheel, and the material it is made of. Additionally, any external forces acting on the flywheel, such as friction or acceleration, can also impact the g force calculation.

4. Can g force be too high for a flywheel?

Yes, g force can be too high for a flywheel. If the g force exceeds the maximum limit that the flywheel can withstand, it can lead to structural failure and damage to the flywheel. It is important to calculate and monitor the g force to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the flywheel.

5. How can I optimize the g force for my flywheel?

To optimize the g force for a flywheel, you can adjust the speed of rotation, the mass and diameter of the flywheel, and the material it is made of. It is also important to consider the intended use and operational requirements of the flywheel when determining the optimal g force for its performance. Consulting with a professional engineer can also help in optimizing the g force for a flywheel.