How to Calculate Impact Force Without Knowing Stopping Time or Distance?

In summary, the object was dropped from a height of 11 feet and the impact force can be determined by the weight of the object and the speed at which the object is dropped.
alexa23
calculating impact force??

I need help calculating impact force. Here's all the information I have:

the object weighs 180 pounds
being dropped from a height of 11 feet

I'm not completely sure if the force can be determined from that. I'm having a hard time figuring it out for some reason.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Alexa
I recommend you to read forum rules before posting because your thread seems like a homework and homeworks are discussed in other forum.
By the way welcome to PF

alexa23 said:
I need help calculating impact force. Here's all the information I have:

the object weighs 180 pounds
being dropped from a height of 11 feet

I'm not completely sure if the force can be determined from that. I'm having a hard time figuring it out for some reason.

Hi all,

I would like to ask the same thing, and first to prove its not homework, first I am 48, and second, we were wondering how mush force the muscles would be taking on the transition from negative to positive, like in strength training, and repping a barbell up and down. We call this transition MMMs {Momentary Maximum Muscle Tensions}

These tensions or forces are as you imagine the highest there is in the whole rep. {repetition} As when you are on the eccentric of the rep, you are still controlling it down, but when a given load is lowed quite fast, the acceleration component means that the forces exerted on the load (and thereby by the muscles) by far exceeds the nominal weight of the load.

Would it be possible to work out the force of ? Let’s say a 90kg weight, dropping at .5 of a second for 1m, please ?

Wayne

More information is needed. Specifically, either how long or over what distance is the object brought to a stop? Note, this is different than the time or distance that the object is falling.

Redbelly98 said:
More information is needed. Specifically, either how long or over what distance is the object brought to a stop? Note, this is different than the time or distance that the object is falling.

Hmm, as you can see this is a bit tricky to say, as when you are repping up and down with a barbell it quite hard to tell.

Therefore, what we say the last fifth of the eccentric, and that would also be one fifth of .5 of a second.

And thanks for you time.

Wayne

1. How do you calculate impact force?

To calculate impact force, you need to know the mass of the object, the velocity of the object, and the time of impact. You can use the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration (which is equal to the change in velocity over the change in time).

2. What is the significance of calculating impact force?

Calculating impact force is important in understanding the effects of collisions and impacts in various situations, such as in car accidents or sports injuries. It also helps in designing safety measures and protective equipment.

3. Can you calculate impact force without knowing the mass?

No, the mass of the object is a crucial factor in calculating impact force. Without it, the force cannot be accurately determined.

4. How does the angle of impact affect the calculation of impact force?

The angle of impact does not directly affect the calculation of impact force, but it can affect the resulting force on the object or surface that the impact occurs on. For example, a perpendicular impact will result in a higher force compared to an angled impact.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating impact force?

Some real-life applications of calculating impact force include analyzing car crashes, designing safety features in vehicles, understanding the effects of sports injuries, predicting the damage caused by natural disasters such as earthquakes and hurricanes, and evaluating the strength of materials in construction.